Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK head / Ampeg 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Oct 2, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I was just searching around and I found the SVT-410HLF. I've been reading reviews on it and stuff. It sounds like an interesting cab. Everyone who reviews it has a SVT 3 pro or a 5 Pro or something. Point is a 300-400 watt tube head. They alwase talking about how loud it is and stuff. But mostly, how bassy it is. The idea of a 410 cab that can cause window to rattle and people to notice it from a half a mile away isn't bad.Then again some people say it is too boomy. Funny thing is NO ONE ever talks about it's highs. I was wondering, what if you didn't have a 300 watt tube bass amp? What if you had a 700 watt solid state amp? Could the 1001rb-II dry/clean tone even out the lows? Or could the ported cabs bassey thunder overwhelm the powerful head? I like ampeg cabs powerful lows but I wouldn't want to hear something equal to 4 *18's with the tweeter/treble, and tone knobs completly off. What do think would happen if these two met?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    GK 800RB + Ampeg 410HLF = the standard jazz stack of the eighties and nineties. My teacher still has it and it sounds good. With the jazzy smooth and punchy, but all the while clean 800 RB, it can get very nice; i presume it would sound good with a bit more agressive tone dialed in, too

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I know plenty of people who use a GK/Ampeg combo. Mike Davenport from the Ataris and Tim Forman from Switchfoot both use GK heads and Ampeg cabinets. A friend from a local band uses a GK 1001RB-II and Ampeg 6x10, which I gigged with once, and I loved it. I'm actually about to have the same rig, once I get my Ampeg cabinet out of layaway.

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I have the Ampeg SVT 410 HLF, and I don't think it's too bassy at all. I haven't giged with it, but I will next saturday. It's done fine in practice though, paired with my Behringer 300 watt head. I think you would be pleased with it, but of course it's always better to try before you buy(although I didn't do that in this case) Anyway, I hope you find somthing that suits your needs.

5. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    That's cool. Please dont get the wrong idea here. I am not saying i would want to sound like this. But just to know where the highs on this type of combo stand. Is is possible to get a TOOL sound out of this pair?

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Be a real man and get Mesa :0 ..... justin did :p. Ya it would seem quite possible.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Read funny slogans on the net sometime ago...
    A pizza-place:
    "Come in cause we knead the dough"
    :smug:

Well, if I could just jump down to the corner supermarket and buy a couple of 'em Mesas, and while I'm there, grab a few Ritters, too, and maybe that $10k Phil Jones amp ;) :p

BUT I think Justin's tone has more to do with Wal than Mesa
    IMO

8. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Well, this is the first name brand cab I've owned, and I think the highs come out really well on it.

9. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    plus: he has a real single coil sound from two soap bars. He uses boss pedals ALL of the time.