1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK head/ Ampeg cab users??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Oct 17, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Is anyone using this combo, more specifically a GK head with an Ampeg HLF cab? I'm eyeballing an Ampeg 6x10. Is it possible to get a good hi-fi, sterile sound out of this combo?

~Patrick

2. I believe Matt Freeman from rancid uses gk head/ampeg cabs. Not sure exact models though.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I briefly owned a 1001RB head and loved the flexibility of the preamp. I would think that paired with an Ampeg X10HLF where X is 4 or 6 would sound great!

I wish I still had the GK, I loved the variable Contour control and the 4/5 string bass switch... Great improvements on the otherwise tried and true 800RB.

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I played a 700rb on top of my Ampeg 8-10 and it sounded great....very clean tone. In fact that 700rb is first on my GAS list right now.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a 1001RB and I use it with an ampeg 4x8. Very amazing sound. So clean and smooth. If you want hifi, and don't want to go pre-power, this would be the way to go. Cabwise, if you wanted more, bag ends, accugroove, EBS, and stuff like that would be more hifi, but less affordable. But I sure do love my GK/ampeg setup

6. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

Well damn, algebra does have a real world application...

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    :eek: Amazing

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Yep, I used a 1001rb on top of Ampeg classic cabs for a year or more (115en and 410he) before swapping out for an NV610.

Sounded good to me. I personally liked the mix between the (relatively) clean GK head running through the sometimes dark/muddy Ampeg cabs. ...But the Bergantino's better.

9. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I have a 1001rb with a sansamp running through a ampeg 810
    I dig it.. I could some more clarity in the low end but overall it's the best bang for my buck.