Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK head/ Ampeg cab users??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Oct 17, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Is anyone using this combo, more specifically a GK head with an Ampeg HLF cab? I'm eyeballing an Ampeg 6x10. Is it possible to get a good hi-fi, sterile sound out of this combo?

~Patrick

2. I believe Matt Freeman from rancid uses gk head/ampeg cabs. Not sure exact models though.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I briefly owned a 1001RB head and loved the flexibility of the preamp. I would think that paired with an Ampeg X10HLF where X is 4 or 6 would sound great!

I wish I still had the GK, I loved the variable Contour control and the 4/5 string bass switch... Great improvements on the otherwise tried and true 800RB.

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I played a 700rb on top of my Ampeg 8-10 and it sounded great....very clean tone. In fact that 700rb is first on my GAS list right now.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a 1001RB and I use it with an ampeg 4x8. Very amazing sound. So clean and smooth. If you want hifi, and don't want to go pre-power, this would be the way to go. Cabwise, if you wanted more, bag ends, accugroove, EBS, and stuff like that would be more hifi, but less affordable. But I sure do love my GK/ampeg setup

6. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

Well damn, algebra does have a real world application...

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    :eek: Amazing

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Yep, I used a 1001rb on top of Ampeg classic cabs for a year or more (115en and 410he) before swapping out for an NV610.

Sounded good to me. I personally liked the mix between the (relatively) clean GK head running through the sometimes dark/muddy Ampeg cabs. ...But the Bergantino's better.

9. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I have a 1001rb with a sansamp running through a ampeg 810
    I dig it.. I could some more clarity in the low end but overall it's the best bang for my buck.