Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK head choice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Ok, so for those of you who don't know, I currently have a 1976 Peavey Mark III amp (running through an 8ohm Hartke 410VX) and so it is pretty old and I'm looking for a replacement. For a while I've been looking into a GK RB head, but not sure which one to get. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the 700RB or the 700RB-II. But the question is - What is the difference between them, what one is better (your opinion of course) and is there any other GK head that is better that I could get used/new in the same price range as a used one of the 700RB/RB-II?

Thanks for any help!

-Tyler

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i thought i went 400-800-1000-2001?

3. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    i own the 700rbII, i owned the 700rb as well. the difference is this (according to gallien krueger)

The 700rbII
    100 more watts
    Weighs Less

I can notice a huge difference when i first purchased. I would say the 700rbII is comparable to the 1001 RB (older model). I mean im running a mesa boogie 4-10 with matching 1-15 and my knob doesnt go past 1' o clock in big clubs. 480 watts at 4 ohms. Not bad for 600$ new. I would say buy one new, but if you can get a steal on one. go for it. i have only been playing bass for 2 years but i have used some nice heads and really favor this one. solid 9 out of 10. good luck.

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I own a 700RB-II also and I agree, it's an amazing little amp. It's extremely powerful for its size, has a great EQ and is simpler to use than the front panel would imply. I also feel, in my opinion, it's a very versatile amp for what you pay. Try Riksmusic.com, they have great prices on GK gear.

5. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    just another plug here about riksmusic.com (no affiliation).
    the 1001rb-II is $600 on your door step (as of last week).
    try and beat that anywhere else.

you can email him to get a quote on a 700rb-II.

i've played a 700rb - 210 combo, and it is a killer amp. you can't go wrong.

6. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I can vouch for riksmusic, too.

7. Opening up some more choices here - What is everyone's take on the 400RBs? What is your favorite model (RB, RB-II, RB-II, RB-IV (however high it goes up))? I'd like something around 200+w into my 8ohm cab and I'm not looking to spend a whole lot (but not too little) - Probably round $400-$450 if possible on one.

Edit: I'm actually gonna ask them for a quote on the 700RB-II because if the 1001RB-II is only $600 new, the 700RB-II I'm guessing would be round $400-$500 new and I would save up a lil more and spring for that in that case.

8. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I checked riks and it was $600 for the 1001rbII. Gave my local GC a chance and they sold it new for $581. Great sounding head. Riks has free shipping but I believe they have a restocking fee.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Tell you guys what. I was skeptical of GK until this past weekend at bassfest. I went to Norm Stockton's clinic at Low Down Sound, and was less than 5 feet away from Norm's 1001 Rb, GK 212 and 115 cabs, and was completely blown away. The stuff sounds incredible, and I have heard nothing in it's price range that touches their new stuff on tone.

This coming from an Eden/Epifani owner.

10. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    How does the new neo 1x15 compare to the aguilar 1x15. I am trying to decide between those two speaker cabs to use with my 1001rbII. No one locally carries the cabs. I currently use two aguilar 1x12s but want a little deeper bass. Both are running within 30 dollars of each. GK new, aguilar used mint with cover.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'd say go for the 700RB-II. It not only has 100 more watts than the RB-I, and less weight, the RB-Is were replaced by the II series because there were some soldering issues on the older boards - therefore the RB-II should be more reliable.
    I'd leave the 400 series rest, they are not powerful enough if you want to upgrade or add another cab.

12. I think I'm going to end up going with the 700RB-II. I just got a quote from Riksmusic.com and they said its $500 shipped brand new, so I think I might have to do that (depending on how much I get for bday/xmas, otherwise I'll check out the bay for one possibly if I gotta save up like $100 or so).