Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Head Comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daniel Elliott, Apr 3, 2003.

1. This is a follow up to another thread, but I can't remember which one so I'm starting a new one. I did a comparison between the GK 700RB, the 1001RB, and the 2001RB. These were the pre production lab units of the upgraded models. Tomorrow, I'll compare the current 700RB to the 1001RB.

The reason for this test was that we had reports that the 700RB was warmer than the 1001RB. That may still be true with the current model, but with the new ones, this was my finding.

First I compared the 1001 and the 700. Once I got the volume between the two about even, I could not tell a difference between them at low to moderate levels. At high levels, I could guess the amp I was playing through about 60% of the time. The 700 had a slight loss in the high frequencies with a slight bump in the lows. It was really difficult to tell the difference.

Next, I compared the 700 to one channel of the 2001. In this case i had a much more difficult time picking the amp I was hearing in the blind test, but ultimately found the same thing as with the 1001.

Our theory is that with the 700 you're hitting the rails at a lower volume producing a "stressed amp" sound that could be construed as "warmer". I was able to produce the same kind of tone with the 1001 and 2001, but at higher volumes.

In the end, the tonal differences were so minute even at high volumes, that I could not truely say that one amp was warmer than the other. So that's my findings. I'll let you know about the older amps tomorrow.

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Very interesting. Can you tell me when the new models of the heads will be available in stores?

3. It's looking like somewhere in June or July right now. Hopefully we'll be showing them at Summer NAMM.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    How about the 400RB-IV?Is the tone as good as the 700RRB,1001RB and 20001RB? How does the 280 watts of the 400RB-IV compare in volume to the 300 watt section of the 800RB?

5. Jbass987

Jbass987

Mar 20, 2002
    Rapid City, SD
    Speaking of the 400RB IV, is there a mod available for the 400RB III to make it 280 watts?

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks Dan. Excellent info for us GK head owners as well as prospective GK head owners.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The difference between 240 and 280 watts will be essentially inaudible...it's only 2/3 dB.

8. I did the comparison between the current 1001 and 700. Neither Alvin nor myself could distinguish between the two amps with any kind of certainty. What I have discovered is that I'm liking the tone more and more every time I play through a GK amp. I also discovered that with the boost down a little and turned the tweeter volume all the way off, I did not feel the need to adjust the eq at all.

I'll have to get back to you on the 400. I haven't actually played through one yet. The last two sundays, I used the Microbass at church. This sunday I'll be using the 700RB/115 combo. I wasn't sure about it when I started practicing with it earlier in the week, but now I remember why I liked 15's so much in the past.

9. To answer your question about modifying the 400, I will confirm this on Monday, but yes it is possible to upgrade the board. What I don't know yet is if it would be cost effective.

10. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What did you like about the 1-15?

11. The center frequency on a 15 tends to be lower than on a 10 and the 15 moves air slower producing a more round tone. Baron Browne with Vital Information is a good example of the kind of tone that I prefer. I don't know what he did for the Show Em Where You Live CD, but live he uses a GK1001/115 combo.