Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK head for SWR Triad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZonMaster, Jun 22, 2004.

1. ZonMaster

ZonMaster

Jun 18, 2004
    maybe Kansas
    I'm wanting to push my Zon five-string fretless through a SWR Triad. When this project's complete I hope to have the ultimate studio/club rig. I'm missing the "right" head, kinda important eh? Help me please. Here's the Readers Digest version of my reasoning for my rig.
    (1) 5 fretless. It's got options.
    (2) SWR Triad. 15" for the B. 10" for low/mids/fretless phrases. Tweeter to round it all out. All in one ultraportable cabinet.

The Triad can handle 400w. I'm not fighting stacked Marshall's on stage of course, so presence won't be a problem. I don't max anything out either. I also realize questions like this are subjective since I'm looking for good tone yet flexibility. I'm torn between a 800rb or 700rb-II right now. You know the 800rb. Do I stick to tried & true? Or do I venture into 700rb-II territory? Just looking for your impressions. If I wasn't so many moons from a GK dealer I'd test drive side by side. Too bad, I guess it's on your shoulders now... ;)

2. The 800 RB tone is in the 700 along with about 10 other useful tones.

To me it makes sense to have more tones and flexability.

And a little lighter weight and size

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'd lean toward the 700RB II. You'd get more power than with the 800RB and more flexibility and features, too. On the 700RB, you get things like variable contour, while on the 800RB, it's one choice...on/off. The 700RB has nearly everything on the front, too, even the DI and DI level, which I've found to be handy...and a tuning mute with front tuner-out jack.