GK head with Speakon connectors...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Clbe, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Clbe

Dec 13, 2002
    Elgin, IL
    A friend of mine who is not internet saavy has a GK700? head with only speakon jacks. This head has the capability to bi-amp but is wired so that the two pairs of the speakon cab out signal carry the bi-amped signals. He has trace Elliot cabs (2x10 & 1x15) that use 1/4" inputs. According to the signal path diagram on the back of the head, 1- and 1+ carry the 50w signal for high end and 2- and 2+ carry the 350w signal for low end. Based on my limited electronics knowledge, it seems that a cable could be made that would split the speakon connection to two different 1/4" feeds for the TE cabs. could it be this simple?

I'm going away for a week but wanted to post this now so replies build for a conversation when I return. I hope somebody has an answer.

ps - first post - nice forum - wish I had known about it sooner! :)
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Short answer - Yes. :)

If the Speakon is wired like that just connect one tele cable to 1-/1+ and another to 2-/2+. I'm not sure how to read your description though - does the amp have two Speakon connectors that are both wired like this? In that case it is perhaps easier to make two cables, one marked 'high' and one marked 'low', that use opposite pairs of the two Speakon connectors?
  3. Yup. One 4 post Speakeron Connector to the back of the amp.

4 string of 4 strand wire (monster cable makes a pretty good one available at most circuit cities, and high end audio stores usually about 1 dollar a foot)

and 2 1/4 connectors,

should be pretty easy.

BTW the 700RB series amp does have 1/4 inch outputs that send a full range signal
  4. Hate to disappoint you, but I tried doing exactly this. It didn't work, although I hooked it up right.

I took it back to Sam Ash and the sales guy told me that you could only biamp with a GK cabinet. Needless to say, I returned the head and got my money back.

Good Luck,
  5. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a 700 and had a 1001. The bi-amp setup is really only designed for use with GK cabs. The high end is just a little amp-on-a-chip, meant for use with tweeters only. When you switch it in, the crossover adds a bunch of hiss to the already fairly high level of hiss found in GK amps. Don't bother. Unless you have GK cabs, use it as a full-range amp - works great that way.
  6. Clbe

Dec 13, 2002
    Elgin, IL
    Many thanks to the multiple responses. I'm going to try doing the cable solution and will post results.

7. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    You will need to bypass the cab's internal crossover rendering it useless for future full-range connection. Unless you feel like diddling with it to get it back to normal.