Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Heads: 700RB or 2001?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrJBass, Feb 4, 2001.

1. MrJBass

MrJBass

Apr 3, 2000
    Massachusetts
    Hi. I'm looking to get a new head, and I've got it narrowed down to 2 choices, but I need other people's input. I've been looking at a GK 700RB for quite a while and I like how it sounds, and it definitely throws enough for my purposes, and I like it alot. Here's the catch: I saw the 2000 model in a catalog for only $100 more. My question is should I shell out the extra green? Is the extra power worth the extra money?
    Thanks.
    Kelly

2. Depends on if you have money to burn. I am pretty sure an AUDIBLE doubling of volume is achieved by increasing the wattage by 10. hence, if you have a 100w amp, doubling the volume would be 1000w. Hope that was right.

3. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    But you have to consider the added headroom will allow you to play louder without clipping.

4. MrJBass

MrJBass

Apr 3, 2000
    Massachusetts
    Thanx Binary and Andrew, I appreciate your input. I have another question though: I play mostly hardcore music. I don't know if that makes a difference, but if it does, do either of you have any suggestions of better solid state heads?

Kelly

5. You're on the right path. GK's are pretty much the amps for hardcore.

6. Oh ooOoOOoOoo oh oooooooohhhhhhhhhh oh oooh ooooh ohohohohohoh. I get it now. Thanks.

7. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    :D