GK heads and SWR cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Aug 1, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    DOes anyone play with or like this combination. I played my GK 1001RB-II through a friend's SWR Goliath III for an outdoor gig, fearing my 115RBH would not be loud enough for the outdoor gig. Well I ended up loving the sound of it. It was boomier and fuller than my GK cab, while still having the kind of chrystal highs I like.

Now I'm considering getting another SWR Goliath Sr, and keeping my GK cab as a practice cab. I used to have one when I was obsessed with matching brands, but now I'm starting to shed that. But for the past month or so, I've been wanting to add a GK 410 RBH to my rig. Any got any advice in helping to decide.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    In the past I used my G-K2000RB head through an SWR Goliath SR and also a Goliath-III. GK head's/SWR cabinet's pair up nicely IMO.
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Would you say you like it better than with GK cabs?
  4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For years on the road, the backline I
    used to get, was a GK 800rb and 1 or
    2 golliath cabs. Very good match up.
    The swr cabs have a slight dip in the
    frequency the gk's have a lot of.
    Good match!
  5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've ran my 1001rb mark one amp (from my 1001rb/210) combo into my swr cabs (goliath 3 and sob). i thought that it was way too hissy... supposedly the mark 2's are better with that though. with my swr heads i can have the tweets up at 12:00, but with the gk it was at about 9:00. anyways, the sob and my combo sounded great together, but i wasn't as excited about the goliath 3. :bassist:
  6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Me too, I used a GK 800 RB and Goliath cabs for years. I thought it was a great combo.
  7. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I've always really dug GK heads with Eden cabs.
  8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Before I got the Bergantino, I enjoyed the sound of my GK head into Ampeg classic cabs. The "muddy" Ampegs warm up the clean GK just enough.
  9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I only played through G-K's cabs at the music store. IMO the 4-10" RBH cab I tried sounded slightly warmer (to me) than the SWR cabs I've owned. The SWR cab had more punch compared to the G-K I tried.
  10. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I think you would like the GK 4-10 RBH better than the Goliath 3........