1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK Heads Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 9, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I have 2 brand new GK RBX 210 cabs and a Backline 600.

I am praying I get picked up for bass by this 70's style Trio (Mountain, Cream Hendrix ect)

I have played out with the 600 and I know it's not going to cut it working with a Pro level Band.

What Upper End GK Head will work with my cabs and give me what it takes to play out with this band?

2. 1001rb is a great head if you want the GK tone

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    that was helpful :rolleyes:

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I am pretty much stuck on GK. I guess I can spend around 700.00

5. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    Look into a 1001 rb and some sort of tube emulation pedal/effect to get tubelike tones..RMC audio has great prices on new gk stuff..

FWIW the bands you mentioned require a more "vintage" sound than straight up GK if that is your goal

6. The 700rb II will also give you plenty of power for your needs. Spend a little over $50 more (from RMC Audio) and quiet the tube guys with the Fusion 550?
    Just IMO for that era of music trade off one 210 for a NEO 212?

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    At that price range, the 700rb-II would be a good choice. it costs 600 dollars and it matches well with the rbx cabs.

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yeah it was. He asked for a more powerful GK head. What exactly did your post add?

I would say the 700 would be fantastic for you.

9. Sorry to hear the 600 is not working for you. I think your problem is that you need more speakers. Pro Level band doesn't mean sh!t. You know you can mix head and cab brand names, it won't kill your head or sound. try an 8X10 setup @4ohms or get a 4X10@8ohms and 1X15@8ohms. this will definitely work. If you don't want to buy cabs then I'd get the 700 or 1001 if you like the 600 tone. To me they sounded exactly the same but the high end ones have more power and more headroom.

10. The 800RB is unquestionably the GK tone.

11. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Blue,
    I'd suggest trying your G.K. 600, (300 watts at 4 ohms), through a 4 ohm Ampeg 610 or 4 ohm SVT 810 before parting with it.
    I played a G.K. 800, (also 300 watts at 4 ohms), into a 4 ohm Ampeg SVT 810 for years on some very big stages and with some very "LOUD" bands. Having enough volume was never a problem.
    300 watts will go along ways if you give it enough speakers to work with.

12. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    the BL600 may be decent, but a 700 would definitely be better if he doesn't mind spending some money...

i have used both heads with a loud rock band and i did notice the 600s lack of headroom, i would have to be very careful or it would clip

13. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I stand corrected.
    I was told the G.K. 600 and G.K. 800 shared the same power sections.
    I know from experience that with enough speakers in the running a G.K. 800 is one of the loudest 300 watts on the market.
    Recently I A/Bed a G.B. 6.0, (600 watts at 4 ohms), and my old G.K. 800, (300 watts at 4 ohms), into a 4 ohm 410 cab.
    The old G.K. seemed to have twice the usable power.

14. Same basic power amp between the 800rb and the BL600 but not power supply sections, the 800rb is more robust. ;)

15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Thanks,

All great suggestions, I am still a litle cofused as to where my prblem is more cab power or head power?

blue

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I gig in a metal band with a Fusion 550 (500W) and a Neo 410 (800W). I don't think your problem is with your cabs (you essentially have a 4x10 already, and the RBX cabs are great, IMO).

Your head is 300W @ 4 Ohms. Not a massive amount, but enough. I technically am running my cab with just 350W @ 8 Ohms, and I get told to turn down my amp quite often. :D

While you can probably benefit from the extra power of the 700RB-II, I'm curious about your settings. If you're still fairly new to GK, you could be setting your head up the wrong way and consequently suffering from volume/tone issues.

Also, don't forget that in many gigs, you'll have a DI line or miked cab running to the board for the PA. Your rig doesn't necessarily have to be able to flood the venue with bass - it is often relegated to being just a secondary monitor for you.

17. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Power ratings yes, power sections, no. It's the 400RB-IV that is nearly identical to the Backline 600. The 800RB is unique in it's 300 + 100 power amps.

18. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    get an 800RB..