Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, May 20, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i know next to nothing about amps. i've been playing out of a piece a crap peavey for 10 years.

Ok i'm going to buy a high end GK 4x10 cab.

my question is what GK head should I get? i'll be playing in small practice settings and small club settings. which GK head should i get? do they all sound the same but just have different wattage? loudness? features?

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well you might want to check out the 400RBIV 280 watts @4 ohms for about 420$ you might also wanna run a search over gk here at the forum.

3. you can't go wrong with the GK 800RB.. Simple, powerful, and clean. If you are a knob-twiddler look into the 1001 RBII. It should come with a special Speakon cable to Bi-amp the rig and run the lows through the 4x10's and the high's through the horn if you get one of the newer GK 4x10 cabs that have that option....

4. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    what. :meh: like i said i know jack about amps.

i'm thinking the 800rb too. i am not a knob twidler.

bi-amp huh...i don't know what that is.

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    The biamp isn't that big of a deal...be sure to get an amp that has enough power for your cab. If you're using a 410 cab that's 8 ohm, you might want to go with the 1001...the 800 might not be enough into an 8 ohm load.

6. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    This is just a proposal, but if you're just doing small gigs maybe a 2x10 will serve you better than a 4x10.

7. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I use a GK1001.It is a powerful and lightweight rig. I play mine thru a Bergantino HT 322 cab. I highly recommend this set-up.

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    that's what i'm concerned about seeing as i know nothing. will the 800rb have enough power for the GK 4x10 high end cab?

9. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    probably not the 800rb only can deliver 300w tops and the 410rbh is 800w. if your gonna get a 800rb maybe you should chek out the sbx cab series. or like some1 suggested you should just get the 210rbh because your only using it to practice so why use a 4x10 and spend more money when you can just get a 2x10 cab and have extra cash left over.

10. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    the gk-1001 is 480 watts @8ohms, 700 @ 4, so a 800 or 400 series should fit in perfect.

i run a 1001RB with a 4x10 (1200RMS handling i belive ) and a 2x12 avatar set up

before dishing out the major cash for a full on RSB G-K speaker, check out avatar, i really really dig the 4x10, super punchy, and at under 400 bucks, its killer, quality is awsome.

cheers
    PB

11. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    am curious to look at some avatar cabs. where do they sell them or whats a web site where i can check them out?