Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK hum problems anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peaveybassamp88, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Maybe it's just me or something, but has anyone else out there noticed that Gallien Kruegers tend to hum excessively? I tried many (a dozen maybe), both new and used, heads and combos, with many different kinds of basses, and they all seem to have a lot of really high-end noise to them, though not necessarily a hum. Even with the reble all the way down, the horn off, and the bass cranked up it 's still noticable. I've checked for fluorescent lights, rheostats, and anything else that might have been around to cause noise, but I've come to the conclusion that GK's just make a lot of noise and, therefore, are undesireable to me. Comments please:D :bassist: Rock on, dudes.

2. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I have two; no problems with either.

3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    By itself, mine doesn't make any noises either, even with the treble cranked. My Tech21 BDDI added just a little bit of noise though until I got my levels adjusted. Did you try new cables? Different power circuit? Something must be up. And how did you get access to 6-12 amps at the same time? I can't find a place that has more than 3 on the floor at any one time.
    Wes

4. Maybe the bass itself needs some solldered pots or whatever you call them?

5. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have three. No problem.

Like Osama said, check out your bass. Shielding or cheap pickups can lead to hum problems. So can cheap (cost effective) cables.

6. When I first posted I should have mentioned that I don't even OWN a GK. I don't actually HAVE 6 GK's in front of me now :D. Though it couldn't hurt..... All your suggestions are good, but can't really help. I've been looking for a bigger head for a while, so whenever I go to a GC, Sam Ash, Music Go Round, or whatever I always try out as many as I can, used and new, with a lot of different basses and cables and setups and stuff. Next time I get around to a music store I'll try them out more I guess.