1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK is Going to be even GREATER!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rock-Bassman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    Just went to GK's homepage to check for any new stuff... and found a Hybrid version of the 2001 RB. Also a hybrid version of their MB2-500 (thier small but powerful thing)... I love the way their moving forward. Can't wait to see an all-tube GK head!

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    GK has been doing things right since the 80's and will keep doing it. Way to go GK.

3. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't know about all of this. GK has been known as a great solid state amp company and they've always been really good at making solid state amps. I guess time will tell if these hybrid amps will work out for them or not. If I was going to go buy a GK today, I'd probably stick to one of their all solid state offerings.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

Pre Amp:
    Tube (three 12AX7's)
    Motorized knobs (footswitchable)
    Gain, Master and Horn Level controls
    Four band active EQ
    Variable Contour with mid frequency select
    Deep and bright switch
    Mute switch (footswichable)
    Active/Passive switch (-14dB)

Power Amp:
    Solid State
    Dual 540 watts (2 ohms) or 1080 watts bridged (4 ohms)
    Toroidal transformer

Dimensions:
    19" Wide x 5.25" tall x 12" deep
    Three rack spaces
    43 lbs.

[​IMG]

- 500 watts @ 4 ohms, 350 watts @ 8 ohms
    - All tube preamp (Three 12AX7’s)
    - Four band Active EQ
    - Variable contour with mid frequency select
    - Deep and bright switch
    - Mute switch
    - Active/passive switch (-14dB)
    - Effects loop
    - Tuner out
    - XLR out with pre/post EQ and ground ligft
    - Two Speakon outputs
    - 4 pounds
    http://www.gallien-krueger.com/preview.html

(I'm not a GK guy, never used any of their gear--just posting it here for convenience.)

5. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    BINGO sorry bout not havin pics up but hey. Kirk I hear ya man but just go out and try the fusion 550 and you'll now why I'm so hyped up for all this.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I still really enjoy my MB2-500 and hopefully TB'er jazz5757 will enjoy the 2001RB he just bought from me... That said... The MB-Fusion does intrigue me... Pairing that with the MB210 and MB115 as a stack would be fantastic.

Who knows, now that I'm not playing in a large band anymore I should think about ditching my big rig and going smaller... hmmmm...

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Now, I really wish the Fusion didn't have the motorized knobs... Total turn off to me...

8. I have a 2001 and have used the 1001 and the 700 in the past. I have been thinking about trying the Fusion 550 but after my experience with a Genz GBE 750 I am not sure I want to go the hybrid route again. I just could not find a sound that really worked me. Maybe it was the Genz and not hybrid in general; I don't know. I have better luck putting a RBI in front of GK heads than using a hybrid. :meh:

9. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Here was my route:

Genz Benz GBE750 - Hybrid - Absolutely hated it
    GK 2001RB - SS - Loved it
    Aguilar DB750 - Hybrid - Love it

I wouldn't rule out hybrids entirely. I too really hated that Genz Benz head, but have had great luck with a different hybrid in the Aguilar DB750.

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just don't like hybrids. All solid or all tube, for me. Something makes most tube preamps sound a little harsh to my ears when you drive them at all.

I like the 750 a lot with a little tube blended into the fet channel.

I am enjoying my Neopak thus far, but if I could trade its tube front end for a solid state I would :)

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree. There are some particularly well-designed exceptions out there, but for the most part tube preamps aren't that well designed, and sound alternately mushy and harsh.

I'd rather have a really clean amp and just add on a well-designed tone shaping pedal if I want a different tone.

12. They aren't a turn off for me but they aren't really necessary for this amp to be a smash hit. It might have been even bigger without the knobs:confused:

13. BlueState

BlueState

Mar 25, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I've been trying out these two rigs and like them both. Haven't been able to play them through the same speaker cabinet so I don't know how much difference there is between the Mark 4x10 and the GK Neo4x10. Whichever one I get will probably be played through an Eden 2x10XLT for starts. Any opinions? I'm old school R&B, groove rock kind of a player.

14. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'll be watching to see how the dependability will be with the "hybrid" MB2 500 before I even think of buying one.
    Hopefully G.K. got the dependability of the "hybrid" MB2 model right before it was released to the market, something I don't feel was done with the S.S. model MB 500.
    Bluestate, I've played through the G.K. Neo 410 several times, love it! That cab would be my choice.

15. Fusion 1050 = Holy deep mother of goodness

16. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Does the 2001RB have a decent eq? I had a 400RB and it sounded decent but you had no shaping of tones what so ever.

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Markbass, I say. Has a very vintage vibe about it (especially with the VLE filter engaged) that sounds great for old school R&B. Check out the Jeff Berlin combo if you can, big ol' 15 and no tweeter!

18. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    4-band EQ, contour (i.e. mid scoop), presence (i.e. upper mid boost), boost, 4/5 string switch (i.e. deep boost).... Yeah, it has a decent EQ. That said, I'm now running an Aguilar DB750 which only has a 3-band EQ and I have no problem dialing in a great tone.... Nor did I when I used an Avalon U5 into a QSC PLX1602. For all intents and purposes that didn't have an EQ and I had no problem. :p

19. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've owned both and had no problems with shaping of tones at all. Don't know why you had trouble. The 2001 has immense power. More than almost anyone would ever need. Even the 400 RB when paired with a couple decent cabinets would handle small to medium rooms with plenty of volume. I could get any sound I wanted out of it. There's way more boost or cut on any of the controls than I ever needed and I've found that to be true of almost all the new amps on the market. What I like about GK is they have their eq points at frequencies that work well musically.

I also have a Sansamp. I don't need it to get a good sound from a GK. These days I use it only as a direct box.

It helps to sit down with the amp for an hour or so while you read the user's manual and familiarize yourself with all the controls.

I too anxiously await the new GK products, particularly their redesigned and lighter Neo series of cabinets. At my age I'm really into light gear. I've been using GK for the past 20 years and couldn't be happier.

20. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    "Hybrid" = Solid State. Period.
    Throwing a couple lousy 12ax7 in the preamp signal chain doesn't make an amp sound like a tube amp. It's a cheap gimmick and a joke. The amp companies are wanking you off.
    Tube amp TONE is in the the class AB power tubes (6550, KT88, EL34 or 6L6) driving cabs through the OUTPUT TRANSFORMER. TUBE AMP TONE is in the tube POWER AMP.
    An SVT preamp driving a really good solid state power amp sound NOTHING like an SVT. If you don't believe me, check out any of the "hybrid" "SVT" amps.
    On the other hand, a good solid state preamp driving a (real) SVT tube power amp sounds very much like an SVT - often times even better.
    IMO, a "tube" preamp in a "hybrid' amp is worse than all solid state.