1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB 115 Series I Craigslist find.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Hey guys I lucked into great Craigslist find for stupid low money. Series 1 MB 115 combo amp. Silver face. I researched this model and it's rife with issue. Did this model turn out to have one defining issue or has it been all over the map? The guy I bought it from said the fan stopped working and the head would go silent. I tested the fan and it's okay.
    So far it's working like a champ for me.
    Appreciate your comments.

2. Well, there are plenty of posts and threads about this model. While actual statistics are not available, it was evident that there were problems with it. Problems with the fan and the power supply module seemed particularly common. These may have been early production issues. GK was great about warranty repair. The cost of repair after the warranty period has resulted in many being converted to 115 cabs after the amplifier failed. I have one and it is still going without a problem. It was purchased about a year after they came out. They have great tone and get plenty loud. The EQ is remarkably versatile and quickly becomes intuitive. If you are going to gig with it you might consider converting it to a 115 cab, allowing it to be connected to any head, internal or backup. Congrats on a nice find and enjoy!

3. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Thanks yes I planned on the head unit being dead after the original owner gave such a dismal report so I installed a spare Eminence 3015 in it with a speakon jack in the back. The 3015 is pretty sensitive so it gets pretty loud.

AstroSonic likes this.
  4. In case you haven't thought of this, make sure that when an external head is connected via the speakon connector, that the internal amp is disconnected from the speaker. I ran both the speaker and amp out to separate connectors. Of course, you need to connect the two in order to use the combo cab and amp together.

5. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Thanks yes. In this case I removed the head unit (anticipating it would ship to GK) and installed a speakon connector.

AstroSonic likes this.