1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB 150 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dc-upright, Oct 12, 2017.

1. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    I recently joined a 70s rock band and have a question about the MB150S. I have a chance to buy one along with the matching extension cab and wonder if it will keep up with a drummer. This band is not real loud, so wondering if you guys with experience with this amp please share.

I am interested in this amp because I mostly play upright and the reviews are very positive on this amp for upright so I think it will be a good fit when my Phil Jones Flightcase is not enough.

Thanks in advance.

2. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    I had that head for a long time, and I used that cabinet, but never owned one. The head is adequate for that purpose; it's pretty loud especially if you use two 8-ohm cabinets. But I would not count on that cabinet being up to the job for a rock band. My 2 cents, you'd be better off with another cabinet. Even an Avatar would be better for a rock band, such as the 12/6.

dc-upright likes this.
  3. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    Thank you

4. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    I had the 150S with the matching MBX cabinet for awhile. Yes, it will keep up in a not too loud situation. As a matter of fact, I switched the the older version of the GK lunchbox, the 200mb which has a smaller cabinet and less power than the 150S. No extension cabinet. Even that is plenty if you are playing with musicians with skill, and the sense to listen. Use floor coupling to extend the sense of low end..the sealed box doesn't extend real low. And that is the beauty of the design. I sure hope GK keeps making these amps!

5. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Wait, I though we were talking about a rock band-?! :)

6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    My experience with that set-up and electric bass is that it doesn't have a lot of low end extension and if the rock gets rockin, will benefit greatly from PA/FOH support. Those particular GK rigs work best with URB in reasonable stage volume environments (no Marshall stacks or drummers using baseball bats) IME.

old spice, daveman50 and dc-upright like this.
  7. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    This.

Al Kraft and dc-upright like this.
  8. I used one for years with a double bass and a Bag End 15" extension cabinet, and it worked great for the r'n'b band. Two GK's, though, wouldn't do well.....those metal GK MB cabinets, as noted above, have little bass response, and in my setup the Bag End was doing all the low frequencies.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  9. I gig with this amp—both electric rock, and upright jazz. Alone the amp works for a very small room and no, or quiet, drummer; with a full size 410 it can do full rock band in a medium room. I suspect the GK extension would fall somewhere in the middle: too big for a small venue, and too little for a medium one.

10. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    If you are going to use anything but the little matching MBX cabinet as an extension, be sure to scope out something that is efficient, and 8ohms. Something like that Bag End is excellent. I've witnessed Dave Holland using a 410 with his 150s with good results..but really, mix and match with the wrong cab can push the 150 into thermal overload/shutoff. I say this because it happened to me on a gig using a Eden 112 8ohm. The amp actually became hot to the touch before it failed. I was playing at moderate volume too.

dc-upright likes this.
  11. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    Well I bought this amp along with the matching cab. Awesome sounds come out of this little thing! Have not had it out yet but don't believe it will keep up when things get rocking. I plan to use this amp for small gigs both upright and electric. For bigger stuff I picked up a Rumble 500 combo.

I want to thank you guys for the replies.

Al Kraft likes this.