1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB-210 combo vs. Ampeg PF-500/PF210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Popsweiser, May 30, 2012.

1. Popsweiser

Popsweiser

May 11, 2012
    I'm looking to take a step up from my old Peavey Basic 112, and I need to stay on a "reasonable" budget (put 2 sons through college, 2 more sons still in college).

Our band has 5 other guitars (3 strummers, 1 pure lead, 1 floats between lead and rhythm), me ('94 Squier Jazz), and drums. Virtually all covers, from Buffet to Van Morrison to Muddy Waters to the Black Keys (eclectic, to be sure). The old Peavey handles things pretty well, but I want some room and sound flexibility.

I'm leaning towards the GK MB-210 combo because of price and the ability to add an external cabinet. BUT...the Ampeg PF-500 in combo with the PF210 has quite an appeal (but I don't think I could add another cabinet to it - right?). The PF rig is about $200 more than the GK.

I don't think I could go wrong either way, but I'd love to hear some of your thoughts before I "take the plunge". Thanks! (first time poster, BTW).

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You absolutely can run the PF500 with two 8 ohm cabs, and the PF cabs are all 8 ohms.

3. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I bought an MB 210 combo before the ampeg PF stuff came out as a backup/easy transport rig. (I am an ampeg guymy main rig is a SVT 7 Pro) As Jimmy said, you can add another cab to the ampeg. If you can, go play both because they are very different sounds. The GK is more of a modern sound and pretty mid scooped but, it is also nice and light and very easy to carry around. If I could choose between the 2 I would however take the ampeg just because that is the sound I prefer. Though, the GK isn't a bad amp at all. The ampeg may work better for the music you have described. The ampeg will sit in the mix very well but will cut through just fine. IME the more aggressive voice of the GK can cut through the mix well but doesn't always sit in a mix exactly where I like it too. The nice thing about the PF 500 is that you not only have the ability to add another cab (as both amps do) but you can use the head on pretty much any 8 or 4 ohm cab later on down the road which gives you endless options.

4. Popsweiser

Popsweiser

May 11, 2012
    Thanks for your quick replies, guys.

I was actually able to download the Ampeg owner's manual on my work computer (which for some reason didn't come through on my home computer??), and it does indeed state that 2 cabinets can be hooked up. I was confused because they have 1 each of 1/4" and Speakon connectors shown, and before I saw the manual I thought they might be used individually.

I will indeed go try out both GK and PF500 set-ups before I finalize my decision, but in the meantime your feedback has helped me directionally, particularly with regards to sound production of both units. I was leaning towards the GK due to the extra cabinet and the price difference, but now I'm leaning more towards the Ampeg system (and I have warm memories of the sound my friends B-15N produced many moons ago).

Thanks again!

5. The reason I would recommend the PF-500 over the combo is that you wont be locked into head/cab pairing for tone or volume needs. Also when stacking two 210's the best way to do it is vertical and that doesnt work so well with combos.

I dig the PF-500. I bought one. That said sealed cabs are not my thing. I pair mine up with a different cab. Dont be so quick to assume your best tone/deal/rig comes in a matched set up. I used to think I didnt care for Ampeg amps because I only ever played them through sealed ampeg cabs. I tried one on a different cab and I loved it.

6. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    IME the PF500 is far superior to the GK MB210, it has much better tone and features, I have had both (still have the PF) and the boominess of the MB 210 lets it down, the louder you go the more you have to turn down the bass EQ, the MB feels more low budget too .
    I would guess the Ampeg cabs speakers are much better as well .
    You also have the choice of different cabs to use, I run mine through a Barefaced super twelve and its superb .

7. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    never tried the GK MB-210 but I have the PF-500 and PF-115he cab and absolultly love this amp.