1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB 210 seems cheaply made

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 77mmstingray, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 77mmstingray

77mmstingray

Jan 29, 2012
    plastic corners, cheap switches, lack of on/off lights

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Was it cheap?

3. So do you own one or are you just making random observations? Plastic corners don't make a cabinet cheap. Lots of companies use them. Also in the case of GK they provide the ability to stack cabinets more securely. How does it sound? That to me is way more important.

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    GK MB 210 seems cheaply made thread seems cheaply made. No capital letters, no periods and lack of conjunctions.

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I agree with the OP, but it was after I turned it on that I made that assesment. As far as plastic corners go, aren't they all?

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    compared to what?

7. I've got the MB115, and I don't think it's cheaply made. It's not like it's a Behringer! But to each his own, I guess! :meh:

8. 77mmstingray

77mmstingray

Jan 29, 2012
    i tried it at ash $600
    sounded ok, but i thought i would break the on/of switch if i wasnt careful
    For 600 the carvin build blows it away

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg uses chrome plated metal amp corners. Real classy like.

Just sayin'... :D

10. It's designed to pack a killer sound for an affordable price. I see no problems here.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think Markbass amps are built more sturdily, but they cost a whole lot more money. I have a GK MB210, and it is crazy light and easy to carry. It also sounds very good once you understand that it is very boomy, and you have to turn the bass down much lower than on most combos.

12. petrus61

All Ampeg cabs or just the unaffordable ones that arent made in Vietnam?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ampeg hasn't made anything in Vietnam since 2008, wise guy ;) But yes, even their imported stuff right down to the $100 BA108 practice combo has chrome amp corners.

14. So you put lipstick on a pig and it's what? :D You want pretty toys, buy pretty toys. Or buy useful tools ;)

15. petrus61

Those metal corners are great for stacking and improve tone! :bag:

Sorry for the jab and the divergance of topic.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I guess I had that coming ;)

17. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    ROTFLMAO!!!

18. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Okay, now a serious reply. I think OP is right: MB210 "seems" cheaply made, as in it "appears to be" cheaply made. Truth is, the amp is the same as the 500MB. It's 350 very loud watts and can be carried by an 11 year old bassist (which means dad doesn't have to carry anything). Pairs nicely with an extention cab to run at the full 500w and kicks the living crap out of many of the amps I played back in the 90s. I just can't believe the power you can lug around with one hand these days. Holy cow.

The good Dr. Cheese is right: spend a few minutes working on EQ with this thing, and there only as much "boom" as you want there to be. Take it on a gig and you won't notice the boom anyway. You'll notice everyone looking around for your giant rig.

I have come to love this amp, and I had one crap out on me--sent it back to get fixed and still love the thing.

So things aren't always as they seem. B-String nailed it: it's a useful tool. We love ours.

--Steve

19. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Were you punching the power switch or something?

20. I just pictured DK shattering an MB210 trying to turn it off. I love your signature.