1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK mb Fusion to bright

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by odin70, May 22, 2011.

1. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    After some testing home and a couple of gigs i think my Fusion amp is just to bright. Even with the treble all the way off, there is som harsh brightness there that i just cant get rid of. Reminds me of my struggle with the EMG,s i used to have. Is there some tricks i have missed or is the amp doomed?
    I use a neo 4/10 cab.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    turn the tweeter down?

3. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Tweeter is turned all the way down. P bass with Jamerson flats, and its not a happening sound..

4. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    Could be the cab. GK cabs are bright. My MB Fusion gets pretty dark and warm through my TC rs210 and 212. I'm playing nickel rounds and Warwicks too. With a P and flats it should thump all night.

5. I find on my GK Neo 212 I need to cut the high mids substantially even with the tweeter down. Try cutting the treble,high mids and slightly boosting the low mids and lows. Keep the contour off or low although on the Fusion you can set which frequency right? Hope this helps,
    Brent

6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Just curious... too bright compared to what? What was your amp before you started using the Fusion?

7. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Ampeg, Hughes Kettner, Marshall etc..
    I have mainly played upright for a while and for that i have been using a Polytone.

8. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Maybe the cabs will have to go. The TC cabs sounds really nice.

9. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i am able to get a pretty dark sound with my GK MB210 combo. Its 350 watts. I turn the tweeter off and turn the limiter on, and then i run it exactly how the instruction manual says. turn the master all the way up, turn boost to noon, all eqs to noon and then turn gain accordingly. and that puts out a pretty even tone, and im able to darken it up with where i place my fingers when playing. but its true i find that all gk stuff is inherently bright, you just have to get used to playing them. It took me about 3 months of various gigging to really love this combo. out of of my rigs, this combo gets so much use, and its been very reliable. i have grown to love the tone of it too.

10. Bass FreeLee

Bass FreeLee

Jan 27, 2011
    Destin,FL
    "I Slap-AhH Da Bass MOn!
    Presence switch is off right? - and i back my HIgh MIds back a bit too-- yes GK amps are on the bright side- but if you know how to work the EQ GK amps are very versitile

11. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Last night i had the precence off. no high mids, no treble, no tweeter and tone control on my bass off. Still..

12. I Forget

I Forget

Apr 16, 2010
    A P bass with flats is too bright with those settings? I don't think the problem is the amp.

13. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Honestly, someone who clearly hates any hint of brightness or treble should like you should look at something else rather than GK. You're probably an Ampeg/tweeterless kind of guy, so that's what you should be playing...

14. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I'm wondering if it isnt your cab or the room your in. I run my mb fusion flat with no contour and just a slight boost in the low mids and it sounds great through my avatar 410 neo. Mabe roll the treble on your bass back a bit.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    This is probably accurate.

Tweeter off, treble off, hi mids off, tone pot shut on your bass....

Time to move a different and darker direction I would think. No need to force your gear to do something that really isn't it's forte; there are plenty of other choices.

16. funkythumb

funkythumb Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    I use my GK MB Fusion with a Bergie AE410. Great sounding combo. Set flat the GK is VERY bright but a nice sizzle bright for slapping. My MarkBass F1 with the same cab is nowhere near as bright at a flat setting. The GK, MB Fusion is definitely a bright head but versatile enough to go dark. I lose the highs by simply rolling off a bit of treble and making sure the Bright switch is off. No need to touch the attenuator on the back of the cab. The head works for me because I can get that modern, crisp sizzle slap or get more of an old school, warmer tone with my various cabs.
    Like others have said, I think it's your cab or put more accurately, the combination of your head and cab. Bag End makes warmer sounding cabs that are mid punchy. I also have a Mesa 2X10 Powerhouse that sounds great with the head and it doesn't sound as bright as the Bergie AE410 with the MB Fusion set flat.
    Just some thoughts.

17. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I guess you are right. To bad, cause the rig really sounds great (if i only could get rid of that treble) And the weight is perfect.

I guess im more of an ampeg guy.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    you ought to try the micro svt, and two 210AV cabs.
    small, light, and sounds super sweet.

19. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I will. Thank you!