1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB MICRO AMP.... Advice Please !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moe.moe, Dec 11, 2011.

1. moe.moe

moe.moe Endorsed by Mercy & Grace ™

Jun 22, 2008
    Earth (for now)
    Good morning my fellow TB'ers.....

I hope the holidays are treating everyone well and peaceful
    (in spite of all the running around we all tend to do during this time of the year, OH and not to mention the macing of 20 or so people over a SONY PSP!!! :rollno: )))

HO... HO....... OH my God....... (((( REALLY ? ))))

Anyhow.............

I just have a simple question / thought to put out here...

I currently run a GK 1001 RB-II amp with my setup and I love the tone of the GK's... however, I am contemplating on selling it or trading it in for a MB Fusion micro amp.

The simple reason being that my lower back AND both knees are not what they used to be and the thought of a super light weight, yet a heavy weight in the amplification section of the amp, is very appealing to me not to mention the tube pre-amp section of the MB Micro...

In everyone's opinion, would I be sacrificing overall performance
    between the two for the sake of weight ... this may sound a bit silly here, ~~~> but would the GK 1001 RB become a "relic" and a cool thing to own once this wave of "micro amps" passes over or am I dreaming about that???? OR should I just hire a roadie to lug my rig around for me and save my aging frame from anymore aches and pains ? (which in this case would happen to be my 13 y/o daughter!!!!)

ALSO....... The MB 800 is totally solid state amp with an 800 watt @ 4ohm output, where the MB Fusion has a 500 watt @ 4 ohm output..... B U T..... The Fusion has a total tube driven preamp.... any opinions / advice there brothers ???

No but seriously... that is my thought.... :help:

Anyways, sorry for such a long post....
    any and ALL advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated !

THANKS ALL !!! This forum RAWKS !!!!!!

Have a very Merry and peaceful Christmas everyone and a healthy, and prosperous New Year!

blessings!

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    As far as I know the MB800 has no tube (are they coming out with an 800 Fusion??). Mine packs serious wallop and fits in the gigbag pocket. I use it on an LDS 15/6 2-way box that easily fills medium venues without PA support. Total rig weigh is about 58 lbs. I don't know if the 1001RB will become collectible, but I cannot see, in any way, micro heads being a fad or fading from view. They are already the standard for large PA apps (like stadium amplification), so we are later to the party. They use less power per volume output as they are far more efficient, and they are selling like hotcakes because for most people, carrying 25 lbs when 5 will get you there simply doesn't make sense.

3. moe.moe

moe.moe Endorsed by Mercy & Grace ™

Jun 22, 2008
    Earth (for now)
    SO,SO SORRY..... about that ''MB 800" typo...

I've been reading on these WAY TOO MUCH....

Thanks for the correction bro ! :D

and YESSSS that weight comparison DOES make a whole lotta sense....
    now about being late to the party...... I simply overslept !!!!! :D