1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB110 + GK MBP115 for Bass and Guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BooshBass, Oct 8, 2013.

1. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    An upgrade on my bass and amp are imminent. I enjoy looping both bass and guitar together, but would like to keep a compact rig. Fishing for TB's thoughts on buying a GK MB110 combo amp to just jam with by myself, leaving open the option to combine it with a GK MBP115 extension powered cabinet in case I want to get into some jamming with others. The idea is to have deep low end for the bass, but also to be able to have a nice guitar tone as well.

Or should I spring for the GK MB112-II Combo, and then combine that with a powered cabinet?

Your thoughts.

2. Well two points to consider. 1) The piezo horn in the combos will likely sound bad with guitar, expect to turn them off. 2) The EQ is a special design that Robert Gallien designed while at Stanford and I don't know how well it lends itself to guitar?

3. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Yea I expected to have to turn the horn off. The reason I was thinking GK was because I've read they sound pretty good with guitar, and i like the idea of having the option to go from low power to high power.

Do you have any other suggestions?

4. G-K made some killer guitar amps in their past. I personally have not tried the bass amps with guitar so I can't offer you anything there. I do believe the 112 would probably work for small jams on it's own.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd suggest a small guitar amp, if you want a nice guitar tone. Bass amps are awesome, but not so much with a 6 string plugged in. Look at the Vox AC4C1 combo amp. Inexpensive, 4 watts all tube and a 10" Celestion Greenback.

6. TwinBass

TwinBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Following up on what RickenBoogie said... look for a small guitar amp. I picked up a Marshall Class 5 combo. 5 all tube watts, a 10" speaker, and that good ol' Marshall magic. It's a step up from my old guitar practice amp, it gets insanely loud, and it sounds like a mini version of a Marshall stack (or at least the Marshall stack sound in my head). I couldn't be happier with my guitar sound. I'm a bass player so I doubt I'll ever bring a guitar out of my basement... it is absolutely perfect for me and my uses. I've got a few bass heads and a few bass cabs, but I doubt any of them would sound good with a guitar. My guitar amp was pretty cheap and is way more than I had ever hoped for.

Hopefully you can find a cheap combo that will do for you what mine did for me.

7. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the replies.

I have an old Marshall practice amp. I'm really more interested in running my bass and guitar into the same rig, and a fairly compact one at that. That's why I was thinking it might be decent to get the 10 inch GK combo and hook it up to a 15 inch extension cab.

My reasoning is that the 10 inch speaker will produce a nicer guitar sound than a 15 inch speaker, and has no horn. Then the 15 inch extension will provide the real bass. I know I'll have to turn the horn off. (I guess I could just get the 12 inch extension, which also has no horn and is the same wattage...)

I should probably clarify too, I don't necessarily need an amp that's going to sound like an awesome lead guitar player's amp. Guitar is not my main thing, I just a/b over to it sometimes when I'm fooling around on the looper to add another layer of sound, or maybe play a reggae rhythm. I've been doing it into my old SWR LA15 for quite a long time now, but the thing and my bass are on their last leg. So far I'm looking at an Ibanez SR1205E, and just trying to get more opinions on this amp setup.

8. BeerSuds

BeerSuds

Oct 21, 2012
    Foxboro, MA