1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB112: any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ivan R, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Ivan R

Ivan R

Jun 8, 2012
    Hello.

My back and knees are screaming for a lighter combo. The Gallien-Krueger MB112 looks interesting at 28 pounds (and 200w). Is it any good?

Disclaimer: amp will be used with a Fender Jazz (with rounds), Rickenbacker 4003 (flats) and Hofner 500/1v62 (flats). I'll use in small to medium gigs (up to 300 persons).

Thanks!

2. They are good but 300 people on a single 12" may be a bit of a stretch?

3. Ivan R

Ivan R

Jun 8, 2012
    Haha, yeah, I guess. Let us say 200. :)

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Honestly, I think that for up to people I'd opt for the mb115. I have one and it handles much more volume than I thought it would at first. If you are handling FOH with your amp, the mb115 MAY be able to hang depending on how loud you get. It won't yield rock level volume, but it will handle moderate listening levels. It is pretty fly weight also. To my ear it sounded the best out of the mb combos.

I use my mb115 with a large red dirt/texas country act occasionally. I keep up with two electric guitars, an acoustic guitar, mandolin, fiddle, two key players, harmonica, sax, steel guitar, drums and cajon. If people start getting stupid with the old gain knob, I am going to lose. As long as everyone plays nicely, the mb115 works.

PS: It works pretty damned well with upright too (which is what I usually play these days).

5. Ivan R

Ivan R

Jun 8, 2012
    I have tried the MB115, and it is not bad at all. But since the 112 is 5 pounds lighter (and since I do not normally need that much volume), I guess I'd ask you guys about it, as I did not try one yet.

I guess that if I have to play for more than 200 souls, I'll just wheel my Bassman 250 to the gig.

But 28 pounds is a VERY attractive point to me.

JBTaylor likes this.
  6. Yes, get one and check it out. :bassist:

7. The other thing the MB115 has over the MB112 is the MB115 has the G-K boost control. The MB112 does not, just the input gain and no master. If that matters to you any.

BTW the series II being built now in California are suppose to have the "link" output to hook up to the powered cabs coming out this summer.

8. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    get the new version of the 112 it's suppose to be coming out this summer sometime and also coming out are the new powered extension cabinets,so if you need more volume for the bigger gigs you can hook the combo up to the powered cab.you actually turn your rig into a 400 watt system and the combo weighs around 28 pounds,not sure about the weight of the new cabinets,thats my plan anyway!!!

9. Col200

Col200

Feb 18, 2007
    I really am loving this amp. So much power for something so little. I've been using it in rehearsal for a few weeks with two loud overdriven guitars and it cuts like a knife. I'm guessing this plus the ext. cab will work for most gigs.

I have one concern, though. I was using it in a studio to track some bass parts and the DI was really hissy. Pretty much unusable. I ended up just using a BDDI, which I usually use, but I like the sound of the MB112ii so much that I'd rather take that DI. My 1001RBII's DI is silent, so is this American craftsmanship? :bag:

10. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I have one and really like it. It sounds great, sits nicely out of the way in the corner of my office/play room, is way easy to carry, and seems pretty sturdy.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have both gain and volume controls. I'd read others say that before I bought mine, and I didn't really understand it. On one of my basses which seems to have relatively low output, I have to crank the gain up fairly high while playing in a group and that does introduce some noise (which, admittedly, I doubt anyone other than me hears when I'm playing in a group). On my other bass, which is much hotter, there's no trouble at all. Give the price and how easy it is to cart around, I'm happy with it (and bought a little volume boost pedal for the times I need my quiet bass to go to 11).

I've successfully gigged it in jazz concerts in an auditorium seating 200-300, and never even went above 5 or 6. A bigger speaker would have sounded a bit better I think, but not so much better that I want to get a second cab.

And while it sounds really great with both my basses, I know someone else who bought one and said he didn't like out it sounded with his.

So, I guess the thing to do is try one out with your bass(es) and see if you like how they work together. If they do, there you go.

The MB115 and 210 are definitely a bit bigger, but also have that volume knob. Seems many prefer the 210 to the 115, so if looking for one of the ones bigger than the 112, maybe try out both.

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Hello.

I spent a ton of time looking into these things... overall found that the higher power ones are useful for a gig situation. I have a mb200 and 210 cab... upgraded to the mb210 for what exactly you're describing.

Tim

12. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    I have an MB112 (the previous version). It does what it does really well, quasi perfect amp for home practice, rehearsal, I reckon even small gigs. A few minor issues:
    -lack of separate gain and volume: not a big problem for me personally but most players seem to favor it.
    -lack of side handles: it's a fairly deep combo, so I'd have liked side handles instead of the single top handle. Now I find it very clumsy to carry, which seems to defeat the purpose of it being so light. Could just be me.
    -can only be extended with the GK powered cabs. Since it's probably borderline powerful for (big) club gigs, I think a speaker out would have been very useful. Then again, there's always the DI out.

While I'm on the subject, I have a question: I'm considering getting an MBP112 to use in conjunction with my combo, but how do you connect them? My combo doesn't have the chain out that seems to be required to connect it to a powered cab.

All in all a very good, light-weight amp for the money. It has the most important features sound-wise, all you need and nothing more. For now it's plenty loud for my needs (at home I have it at 9:00 tops), but I suggest you carefully consider what you intend to use it for. If it were to die on me, I'd most likely get an MB200 head (or maybe MB500) with a 210 or 212 cab.

13. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    I have been using this amp for small gigs or for larger gigs that have a PA and I can run a line out.
    I have used both upright and electric bass.

I have had one problem with the amp overheating at an outside gig.
    The thing that bothered me is the amp would power up but the fan would not turn on.
    After the amp cooled off the next day the amp seemed to be fine but I don't think the fan ever engaged.

14. I had one for a while - they're impressively loud for their size. I think it's fair to say it would cover most gigs where the drum kit is not miked.

Decent tone too.... BUT I did sell it once I scored a pre Fender SWR Baby Blue. I ABed them for a while and the GK didn't come near it in terms of sound fidelity..... or features - so the GK went on the block.