1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB112 vs GK 700RBii + GK Neo 112-2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FooHead, May 23, 2011.

1. FooHead

FooHead

Jan 27, 2005
    Western Canada
    Howdy!
    I'm in the process of creating a "fun rig" for taking to casual jams, band rehearsals, playing at home etc. I have a big rig that sits in my main bands (typical bar rock cover band) rehearsal spot. I already own the 700rbii as a back up amp. The choices are:

GK mb112 combo
    or
    GK Neo 112-2 Cab and the 700rb

Price wise about the same. Portability wise the combo wins, but I'm thinking the 700rb and the 112 tone wise + volume wise should blow the combo away. I'd prefer to enjoy my tone rather than saving a trip to the car.

How loud does the combo go? Can it be used to rehearse with a band (drums, 2 guit, singer w/pa) in the basement? Does it sound strained at rehearsal volume?

Anyone compared the 2 set ups? I'm leaning towards the 112 cab but thought I'd toss this out there for opinions.

Anybody?

2. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    IMO the 700rb II + 112 cab wins hands down. I've not played through the 112 combo but have played the G-K mb115 and didn't care much for it. The 700rb-II is a very good amp.

3. I own the mb112 and it's definitly not enough power to play with a band. I only use it to play by myself, but sounds great.

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have not played the GK 112. But I am loving my GK Neo115-iii. It is much more filling than a Aggie GS112 and with a little tweeter it is clear and defined. I drive the 115 with a MB500. It can do loud with drums no problem. And it weights about 40 lbs. A little awkard in the dimensions but I figure the bigger volume contributes to what my ears are liking.

5. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    This.

The GK NEOs are very nice.
    they are also different from the MBE series.and cost more.
    A lot of people seem to confuse the two.

But i'll stress again GK NEO = Very Good.
    MBE (or mb combo)..Meh.

YMMV..so on..

6. I have the 700 rb 11 and run 2 neo 112 s and it s awesome, one for small gigs ...2 for everything else, loud, growly ,punchy n fat with out the mid honk some 12 s have
    ... having said that the combos do sound good, tho I like the flex. of seperates

7. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I run the 700rbII through 1 GK Neo112 and/or a 212, both series 1 cabs.

I love my rig. The 700/112 goes to most of my local gigs. It's punchy, loud, warm, fat..... all that good stuff. If I leave the big pedal board at home, and only drag out one bass, then I'm in the door in one trip.

8. I just got back from rehearsal with my MB112. :p

YMMV

9. Hmmmm........your bands gotta' be pretty loud. I play in a four piece Classic Rock band and my MB112 is perfect for rehearsal. Light, loud and good tone. In fact, like it so much I bought the MB115 for gigging.

Again......YMMV :bassist:

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have tried the MB112 and the neo-2 112 with MB500. The cheap combo cab does not come close to the no-2 112 IMO. BIG difference.

11. True like to be loud

12. I use the Neo 112-II and 700rb-II for any small gig. With both electric and upright it sounds great! If I need more power, I just add my Eden 210XLT.

In fact when I originally ordered the Neo 112-II, they sent me the MB112 by mistake. I played it for about an hour before I decided that it was not what I wanted. The Neo 112 is perfect!

13. FooHead

FooHead

Jan 27, 2005
    Western Canada
    I was finally able to play both of these set ups in a rehearsal situation.

MB112 - portable (all gear carried in 1 trip), loud enough but not by much, sounds good, sounds better than I thought it would, works well with a VT Bass pedal.

700rbii + 112 NeoII - not as portable (if I had a bag for the 700rb it would be), way louder and sounds tighter, doesn't sounds as strained. I liked the tone better, no need for the VT pedal.

Overall the tone of the 700rb and cab won me over portability.