GK MB112

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassist1962, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Not having had to replace an amp in about ten years, I am now looking to replace the 62 pound Ampeg BA115 I am lugging around with something a bit lighter. Looking for something in my price range (as low cost as possible) I came across the GK MB112. It is 200 watts, 12" speaker, around 25 - 30 pounds.

My question is - Is this a new product, because every site I have looked at says 'available April 27, 2011'. If so there is no use in me asking about experience, If it has been around awhile - What is the advice on this? I am doubling on BG as well as playing DB.

I can find reviews of the MB150 series, but not on the MB112. If I am overlooking something, please direct me to a link.

Much appreceiated,
    John

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

John,
    I would contact RCM audio since there great to deal with and they will know the scoop on the MB112. Their site says it's available.

Gallien Krueger MB 112 Bass Combo Amp - www.rmcaudiodirect.com

John,
    A player on the BG side actually has one, here's the link
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/just-got-my-gk-mb112-732113/ That was back in January, so who knows, I played through the 115 at Guitar Center and it sounds good. GK had some issues with the MB2 500 so maybe this new unit is being "revised."

Much appreceiated,
    John[/QUOTE]

3. Bad_Robot

Bad_Robot

Sep 10, 2008
    I'm still waiting for the MB112 (arrival aprox. 60 days) MB115 is a god option but i don't know what to do

4. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Bad Robot,
    Well, I certainly like the MB115 but it's a good bit larger. I wonder if GK has had some kind of tech issues with the amp. Some TB ED players already got the amp in January, but now they seems to be some kind of holdup in shipping the new units. I have a student who ordered one, I'll see him later this week maybe he's got his already.

Ric

5. Thanks Ric. I posted on the other thread asking how it sounds with DB, as the OP stated that he also plays upright. That is the real question for me. I have played through the Backline 175 (15" speaker), and like how GK sounds, just no experience with a 12" speaker.

6. And how was the experience? :hyper:
    I'm looking at this amp since I'm getting a bass for almost the same price hahaha :p

7. I'd say that you'll be ten times happier with the GK mb112 than with your old ampeg combo.

The mb112 is really clean, a ridiculous amount of bass for how small it is (pretty much every room I'm in I turn the bass down to about 9 o'clock from 12) sounds great pizzacato and arco. It doesn't have a tweeter, but it doesn't need one. The response across all frequencies is just great. It sounds like it was voiced for upright. Buy it.

8. The Backline has a single 15, so it is still muddy with the upright, but cleaner than my Ampeg.

Meddle I found one review of the MB112 from someone who plays upright, and it said the same thing about the voicing.

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Bassist 1962,

Take a look at this thread

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f4/new-gk-mb112-vs-old-gk-mb112s-798738/

The tittle is misleading since their actually comparing the MBS to the MB112. The consensus was that the MBS has a better pre amp than the MB112.

Ric

10. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
  11. I have both.....the MB112 and the MB115. Surprisingly, I can't say one sounds any better or worse than the other. The 112 has got LOTS of power for a 12" speaker.

I can dial in a reasonable facsimile of an upright by messing with the EQ.

All in all, very happy with both.

12. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    I have been having problems getting a good sound on the MB112.
    Somewhere here Fdeck did a freq analyzation of the MB200 head and I am assuming its similar. He mentions what settings get it flat. I think it is an incredible amp for the money, however. Sounds great with slab and has more headroom than any combo amp I've owned. Super loud.

13. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Dylan,
    Clink is now using a Headway EDB-1 plugged into the 1/8 Auxiliary input of the MB112 with good results. So that's something you might consider down the road. Unfortunately, it's about the same price you payed for your MB 112.

Ric

14. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Actually, it works well into the MB200 head but I've only tried that with the Acme B-1. No experience with the new combo.
    These threads get so crazy sometimes and it may be tempting to lose perspective. There are just so many variables involved in getting the sound we hear in our heads. Looking at the chain: player, bass, strings, pickup, amp, speaker.........It's all important but I think we often put too much emphasis on the last part. Just sayin'.;)

15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Clink,
    Sorry about that, now I remember that there was someone else on this thread that tried that

Ric

16. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    wanted to follow up on this. I'm looking for an inexpensive & light combo for background gigs. looks like the mb112 even has a 1M Ohm input - piezo friendly.
    my main concern is bottoming out on the low E. most all combos sound good ... until you drop the E bomb!
    Anybody currently using this for upright?

17. Jason, I like the MB112, but I'd recommend an fdeck HPF-Pre or Fishman Platinum Pre to go with it, as the amp's voicing has a strong bump in the low mids.

Although I have found the MB112 to be useful, my favorite small amp for background music gigs is still the GK MB150, which is considerably smaller and to me more schlep friendly than the MB112. Also an HPF usually isn't absolutely necessary with the MB150. The price of a MB112 is close to the price of a good used MB150, which is what I'd recommend.

18. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    thanks. I always found the 150 kind of mid-rangy and thin sounding. plus it was kind of expensive. are they even making those anymore?
    I agree on the schlepp-friendly package though. that's why I was thinking at 28lbs the 112 made sense.
    I do use a Boss bass EQ as a pre - thanks for the advice.

19. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    ok -

MB112 $339 - 28lbs
    MB150 $699 - 26lbs

wish I could A/B these - but the price might win out.

20. If I bought another MB150, it would be used. They seem to go for around $350 to 400 for one in good condition.

Although there isn't really much of a difference in weight, the MB112 is considerably larger/bulkier than the MB150.

These two amps sound quite different, and it's hard to say which one you'd like best. The MB112 has a bit of a hole in the middle with boosted low mids/upper bass, while the MB150 is strong in the mids. Personally I've found the MB150 to be very handy for many low-volume gigs. The MBi112 will play louder than the MB150 in my experience however.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021