GK MB112

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassist1962, Mar 21, 2011.

1. No problem at all with the mb112 bottoming out. It really is a massive sound for a little light weight box. Too much low end if anything. You will want a decent preamp. The tone controls are minimal. Personally I was a little disappointed with its upper mid detail on upright and have just scored an swr bb1 which I prefer . I far preferred the mb112 tone to the 150.

2. In my opinion the MB 150 is great when you have PA support (in larger venues of course) or in an acoustic gig / small club situation.
    The 112 may be usefull when you need to fill up some larger room without PA, or for louder settings. Just an idea...

3. davidhellbilly

davidhellbilly

Sep 28, 2011
    I have never played with an amp with 112, but I think this Gallien Krueger should be enough because his 200watts...

4. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Is this model more recent (newer and better?) than the GK 2oo(MB) that I have been using since the 80s or early 90s? It seems to be bigger (wider) than mine.

5. Get the MB112. You won't regret it.

6. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    The replacement for the 200MB, which I also have and we've been discussing in another thread, is the MB150E or MB150S. The 112 is bigger, heavier, and to my ears doesn't sound as good - I recommended one for purchase at a local middle school and I think it's great for that.

-S-

Ric Vice likes this.
  7. jkleigh

jkleigh

Nov 17, 2011
    just decided to pull the trigger on this after a week of looking. got to checkout on amazon and noticed it was $50 less! rang up for $288. the deal is still on until 11/20 so get yours while you can. says only 5 left but i think more become avail through other sellers once their stock runs out?

just wanted to pass it on. the GK MB112 for $288 is pretty good.

8. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    That kind of money will also get you a used GK 200MB. Having heard both, there's no comparison in my mind - the 200MB is a real upright amp that also does a good job on electric bass, while the MB112 is nothing out of the ordinary and has plenty of competition in its price range. I like the MB112 for what it is - I recommended it for a middle school and it's doing a fine job there.

-S-

Ric Vice likes this.
  9. jkleigh

jkleigh

Nov 17, 2011
    i play a hollow body electric so hopefully the mb113 will be good for me. :)

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I love this amp very much, but -

The sound from plugging an MP3 player into that input is very disappointing.

Is it my amp, or does your other input not sound great playing MP3s?

11. Enri

Enri

Nov 4, 2004
    Hi Meddle, Do you think the MB112 would sound better than the MB150 for upright? (I mainly play arco)

12. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Meddle last came on TB about 1.5 year ago, but other people may wish to comment as well.

13. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    The MB150 is far better for upright in my experience with both. One of my basses sounded great through the mb112, so it depends on YOUR bass and your pickup's sound, too. For electric, the MB112 is much better.

HateyMcAmp and MR PC like this.
  14. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    It's worth noting that the MB112 has a digital power amp, and the MB150 an analog. Completely different beasts in that regard. I preferred the MB150 to the MB112 myself. The MB150 simply has more girth with the fundamental of both acoustic and electric bass. And the footprint, (and sealed cab design) of the 150 is very friendly to tight stages.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  15. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    I was in the position of choosing between a used MB150S and a new MB112. I ended up with the 150, and I'm glad I did. Even without a preamp I can get a nice, useable sound in every room I've taken it into. I really like the amp's preamp for DB, and while it's kinda "low tech" compared to the newer models that have been released in the past decade, it just works well.

dylanjohnson likes this.
  16. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Is there an equivalently powered and speakered (same size) Fender Rumble? I played a 200 which has a 15 and I was pleased with the tone and weight.

17. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    When Bob Gallien designed the 200MB he "broke the mold". It was the smallest, lightest, great sounding, full featured amp on the market. It had a limiter, chorus, and a stellar EQ section for my Double Bass. Until Acoustic Image built their Contras, it was the go to amplifier for Double Bass. They redesigned the amp with the MBE/MBS combos that have a
    higher wattage power sections. The MBS is a fine little DB amplifier.

Ric

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  18. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    The Series 2 MB150 was my favorite. I am not as enamored with the Series 3, so when my Series 2 literally disintegrated after 12 years of gigs, I decided to get a used 200mb, the predecessor to the MB150. The thing about these amps is, they don't sound the best, but they almost always work in most musical situations to be able to monitor yourself (and make sure you are in tune). They cut and have a nice full midrange.

19. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I think you did the right thing, IMHO the midrange is a bit warmer on the 200MB's, but the trade off is power. Just be careful not to drop it, because the transformer is bolted to the underside of the cabinet.
    I had to have mine replaced when the strap on the GK carrying bag broke. The amp only fell a couple of feet and hit pavement, but it was enough to take out the transformer. I think that was one if the issues
    with those amps. You don't see a lot of that model for sale used.

Ric

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021