1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB112ii + MBP112 = MB212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gmarcus, Jul 28, 2012.

1. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I know I will be giving up the tweeter, boost and separate gain and volume controls, but besides that, does anyone know if the GKMB112ii + MBP112 powered extension cab will be as loud or go as low as an MB212? I'm digging my MB212, but there are a lot of occasions where it is just too much. Especially dragging it down the skinny stairway to my new bands practice space.

Also how much does the new MB112ii weighs? I've seen 28 lbs and 30 lbs in different places. Not all that much less than the MB212.

The older I get the smaller the rig gets

2. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    Anyone?

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    With the exception of GC having the 112II combo I have yet to find a retailer who has any of the new combos or powered cabs in stock. So it's a good bet no one on TB has them in their possession to give you an accurate assessment.

4. Personally, I dislike tweeters/horns so I keep mine turned off and I don’t use the contour and rarely boost, so I wouldn’t miss those. Anyway, the volume will be very close - however, the MB212-II is 100 watts more than the MB112-II/MBP112, and according to GK’s website both the new MB112-II and MBP112 weigh 30lb each, and the MB212-II is 41lbs. http://www.gallien-krueger.com/ BTW, checkout the neat new little MB110 combos practice amps.

5. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY

6. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    I have this exact rig coming to me soon. I hate tweeters so this should be perfect for me. I say go for it!

7. mbbassmojo

mbbassmojo

Aug 11, 2012
    NC, USA
    I'm using the MB112ii and loving it. Had it a few weeks now, can't wait to try it out at a gig. May add one of the MBP cabs at some point, but haven't seen those for sale yet.

8. Awesome. btw, the last I’ve read was GK hoping to start shipping the new MBP cabs worldwide sometime in Sept/Nov.

9. I think the MB112ii and the MBP212 seems like it could make for a nice, flexible rig.

10. I've been wondering if some of the new pairings make sense cost wise. Such as, why get an extension cab for a combo when you can already just purchase a second combo? If one goes out you still have one that works. Both give you 400 watts. Both give you 2 X ___ speakers. Unless the powered cab is a lot cheaper I would just get another combo to match the one I already had. Possibly there are other factors that GK hasn't discussed yet. But if a 112 combo and a 112 powered cab cost the same as two 112 combos, I'd just get two combos. Personally I think two MB115s would be a great stack, but three of them would get interesting. 600 watts into 3X15.

11. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    thats an interesting question?? how would you hook them up? would you have to use a spliter at the end of your instrument cable to hook uo to both combos???anyone:help:

12. That's fine for some...but for me too many boxes & cables. Im buying an MB112-II and will order the MBP as well. One cable connects them, one seto of controls them both. One cable from axe to amp.
    Just my 2c's.

13. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    A lot of interesting ideas here.

Getting back to the original question. I own an mb212 which is a fine combo with a lot of deep bass on tap. I usually turn the bass way down in a band. I played one of the old mb112 and it seemed to be much more mid focused in a very good way. I'm wondering if the new ones have that same sound and if 2 of them would just be louder or if the speaker coupling would make it deep and boomy like the mb212?

14. I would have too - but there was no MB-II/MBP option when I bought my MB115’s and the splitter works great - anyway, I was just answering the other TBer’s question. :)

15. My guess is they sound the same and will sound great stacked together (just louder) - but I don’t think very many people have both an older MB212 and newer MB212-II yet, so at this time GK may be the only ones who can for sure answer that question.

16. One things for sure; today's combos open up many more options for on-stage sound. When I first began playing I always used 2 X 15s. The GK MB115 combos sound so good and are both cheap and light - I think having three would give me all the options for volumn and tone I could ever want, and all three could fit in my trunk and back seat. For small venues, the MB115 by itself really does a fine job for me.

17. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    True I've heard the MB115 at 2 medium volume out door gigs and it sounded great both times. Both were rootsy blues type bands with electric guitars and un amplified drums. The volume was comfortably loud. No need to wear ear plugs and you could talk to people by raising your voice a little. Truly amazing for a 200 watt 115!

18. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    A cheaper option to a splitter is a cord from your XLR line out to a guitar plug into your second amp as it's a pre-EQ/not post signal. Been doing that for many years with other amps.