1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB115 Distorting Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hevy T, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I have a MB 115 and have rented 2 others and all of them have been distorting at 1/2 volume with no gain on a passive p bass copy with flats.

Anyone else have this, or is this just the same as my experiences with Ibanez, just bad luck after bad luck experience?

I am thinking about trading in the GK for a Rumble 350 2X10 combo or 4X10 head and cab, not sure which yet!

2. Try starting with the input volume off, the contour off, horn off, and the limiter on, set all the EQ knobs to 12 o’clock noon , set boost to 11 o’clock and the master volume to 3 o’clock (3/4) - then turn up the input volume to where you like it - and with a standard Fender passive bass, if you’re cranking it pass 1 o’clock it’s loud and could be shaking things in a room - maybe you’re just hearing something vibrating/rattling in your room? Or may be you’re just pushing the driver pass it’s limits (check the EQ)?

3. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Nothing pass 12 o clock including the eq is flat and it is coming from the speaker. I tried mine at home and at the jam space, with different basses as well, I even tried a new mb 212 in the store and the same problem. Now I do tend to hit the strings pretty hard, perhaps that's it:meh:

4. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    First ?- How do you pluck- across the strings or more against them (like a downstroke toward the body)?

Second ?- How high are your pickups?

A hard-hitting, downward-striking technique coupled w/ pickups set too high for said style can result in the strings either hitting or coming very close to the pickups and creating a horrendous distorted/farting sound. Happened to me when I switched to a lower output pup and I tried raising them to compensate for the volume loss rather than letting the amp do the work.

Something to consider.

Rob
    :bassist:

5. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I pluck pretty much perpendicular to the strings and the pups on all my basses are pretty much set at how they came from the factory. I should add that I don't have that problem if I use the headphones or my BA 108??

6. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    If pick-ups are set too high and too close to the strings it will cause distortion. Some amps may tolerate this better than others (the BA-108 may be one). The fact that you've had this problem with more than one amp of different brands (I own the Ibanez P3115 if thats what you refer to) tells me I would look at the bass set-up.