1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB115 noise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abarson, Mar 18, 2010.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Found one of these in a local shop, and was quite impressed!
    Now, when I first plugged in and turned on the amp, the volume was set at about 2 out of 10. Holy! You should have seen the sales guy jump! (Okay, I did too.) I really was not expecting it to be that loud!

I started off with a Telecaster Squire to check out its passive vibe. In general, the tone was good, but I was also very aware of all sorts of spurious background sonic garbage. Killing anything that had a button associated with it helped only slightly.

I quickly replaced it with a MM Sterling, and was rewarded with a much cleaner, usable sound, but there remained some rattling and buzz that I just couldn't locate. It only appeared when I played, but I couldn't tell if it was the combo itself, or whether it was causing all sorts of other stuff in the room to vibrate and rattle erratically. I also have this notion that neo speakers create sound in a way that just doesn't jive with my ears, based on a few cabinets I've tried, but that's my own subjective baggage.

Is anyone who owns one of these combos experiencing any problems with weird noise from it?

2. sociablejimmy

sociablejimmy

Dec 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I got one a little over a month ago and for some reason now all low notes (B&E strings 1-12) are accompanied by an almost fart-like rattle. All the higher stuff sounds fine... I keep thinking maybe I partially blew the sub, but I can't recall turning it up that ridiculously loud. Also, turning on the tweeter seems to cause some ambient noise.

I removed the grating in the front to see if it was causing the rattle, but no change. I'm wondering if I should just get the speaker reconed? I hear that's rather expensive these days.

3. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    The MB115 does not have a neo speaker, it's ceramic.

The only "noise" I head from the ones I test drove was nice fat articulate punchy GK bass tone.

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    There have been several people complaining about the grill rattling, you may want to try that first. (If that's the type of rattle you're getting)

5. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    contact brian@gallien.com. He will take cre of you.

6. H_Wordsmythe

H_Wordsmythe

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I had the exact same problem with my first one. Even posted a thread here asking for opinions. It definitely wasn't loose-grill rattle - more of a background buzz on the low notes. Had GC order me a replacement, and it's better, but I still notice it sometimes. Seems to happen more when plugged into certain outlets in my house. When I take it into the basement to jam, it's especially noticeable. Or when I plug it in upstairs in the kitchen wall outlet. But when I take it into the living room and plug it in there, it's almost imperceptible. Very odd... But it just sounds so good that I can't bear to replace it with something less touchy! Hopefully we'll get some input from Brian or Bob on this!

7. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Rockin' Ruben

Sep 23, 2007
    If you are into modding and want to make it better and eliminate all the noise.....remove the grill......remove the speaker.....install t nuts and bolts to secure the speaker........seal all the inside seams of the cabinet with PL Premium construction adhesive. I also lined my cabinet with polyester filling for dampening.

8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    You may like to try running it through a power bar
    with RF cancelation,sounds like maybe power issue--hmm!

9. sociablejimmy

sociablejimmy

Dec 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I sent mine in for warranty repair and they eliminated the rattle. Apparently the cabinet just needed reinforcing.

Unfortunately the tweeter still produces the same ambient noise as before. Not really a big deal though, I usually keep it turned off and the noise isn't that terrible. Overall still very happy with the amp.

10. Wouldn't making a modification to the combo void the warranty? Just something to think about before anyone decides to do this.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020