1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB115 Rattling/Distortion Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirkm24, Apr 21, 2010.

1. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I got a new MB115 from RMC Audio and played with it today. Even at low volumes it rattles and it even sounds like it is distorting even at the lowest volumes. I moved it to another room (in case I was rattling something in the room close to the amp) and it was still doing it even at low volumes. I can't tell if it's the speaker or something in the chassis vibrating but it seems to only do it on certain notes (particularly on the A) string. I followed the manual and set the master to 3 o'clock and adjusted the input to desired volume level. Still doing it. Amp appears to be defective.

So I call RMC Audio to see about exchanging the amp for a replacement, they tell me it's a GK warranty issue and they can't exchange it. They have me work directly with GK, even though the amp is fresh out of the package and I've owned it a whole 25 minutes! I'm really P*$$ed off! They wouldn't even let me upgrade to something else. They said they can't take the amp back and I have to work directly with GK to resolve the issue! GK is in CA and I'm in OH, so I'm looking at 7 days to get it out there and they'll probably d!*k with it for 2-3 weeks and then ship it back at which point, I'll wait an additional 7 days! I cannot afford to be ampless this long. I got this for quiet upright gigs and the occasional electric gig and sold my other amp gear! I guess that was a big mistake but the wife wouldn't let me buy another amp until I sold my current ones.

Lesson learned: Even though some online retailers can offer you a much better price, you lose the support gained from buying local (like GC or something of the like). It's a gamble and I lost at least for 4-6 weeks! I'm very disappointed and will not buy from RMC Audio ever again even if they're prices are cheaper! I'm going to be ampless unless I can convince my wife to let me go to GC and buy something else.

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    First thing is check the grill. Or better yet, take the grill off. If it is still rattling, then see if it is a screw or something inside the cab that is rattling. If the amp got dropped real hard, the speaker could be bad. If so, call GK. They will take care of you.

3. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    GK has top notch customer service and will do you right

4. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Mine works great.

5. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I called them and they are sending me a pre-paid shipping label to ship the amp back to them in. They said they will send me a new one from the factory as soon as they receive this one. I need the amp by May 2 and I don't think I'll get it back in time. Not sure what I'm going to do.

6. Try to work something out with them.. I've never had to deal with them as I haven't had a GK product, but maybe they would be willing to cover a rental charge for you to rent something for your gig if you can't get it back by the time you need it.

It's worth a shot.

7. fretwear

fretwear

Mar 7, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    GC has a 30 day return policy, no ?'s asked. Snag an amp and when your replacement gets back to you, return the snaged amp or not :ninja:

8. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I can't say that thought hasn't crossed my mind.

9. That sucks but it sounds like GK is doing the right thing unlike the retailer you bought from. You don't know any bass players in your area that can help you out? Take it you have a gig that night.

10. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Out of frustration and needing to buy an amp I went to Guitar Center and got a Mark Bass 1x12 combo. While it sounded good for electric bass, it stunk for my upright. This past Tuesday, I received the replacement amp from GK. This amp is much more "upright" friendly as most GK's are and it sounded better on electric too.

That being said, the distorting problem was not present with the replacement. I returned the Markbass and couldn't be happier with this amp. It's unfortunate that RMC wouldn't take care of me but I'm glad the manufacturer did in this instance. I told the guys at GK how RMC treated me and they didn't seem too happy about it.

11. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Glad you got the problem corrected. I love my GK 700 RBII. Best sounding amp I have used.

12. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Rockin' Ruben

Sep 23, 2007
    I just bought one B stock from GC. Buzzed like a chain saw, no wonder it was returned.....removed the grill and all the speaker screws were loose, two were stripped and one was missing completely, not even a hole. "very small screws" A trip to Home Depot and a box of Walldog fastners, NO MORE BUZZ!!!!! That trip from China is rough on stuff and a 15" driver is not light. I am sure it gets tossed around enough to loosen everything.

Dang this Amp is LOUD! Love IT!

13. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I imagine the speakers are Neos. If that is the case they are light. Sounds like crappy quality control to me.