1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB115 Users- Setting Input Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Awesome Sauce, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    I bought a used MB115 last summer and really dug the way it sounded when I tried it out. Messed w/ it a bit, tried to learn it's nuances, but then my 2nd was born and in the closet it went. Well, I've brought it back out, got a new bass, and I can't seem to get a tone out of this thing that I like any more. Yes, different bass (MUCH nicer); yes, even different strings; I started at 'GK Flat' not 'visual flat', tweak according to sound not sight, but I just can't get a tone I like. :help:

So I'm calling on TalkBass for assistance. If you've a GK MB115, please post your favorite settings, regardless of what bass/genre you play. I'd really like to see what tones people can get out of this amp, and if I really dig any of them, before I decide whether or not to put it on the chopping block.

I'm sure someone will ask- though it doesn't matter to me for the purposes of posting your settings- I play a Fender Jazz w/ DiMarzio Model J's, GHS Pressurewound lights, and passive VBT controls.

Thanks all!

Rob
    :bassist:

2. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    daylight bump

3. What is it you don't like about the sound?

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Well, I have had rotten fruit thrown at me here for expressing this, but my favorite setting is - flipping the Contour on.

I know it's not later day awful Boingy Seinfeld Tone,
    but to me it's Awesome Traditional Bread and Butter Tone.

:bassist: :cool: :bassist:

5. +1

With the EQ controls set for 'flat', what do you like, what don't you like and what is missing?

6. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Excellent questions. I guess more grrrrowl and punch, less highs. Bass is ALWAYS situational w/ this box, but I've never had it past 12; and even that was pushing it. I would like a smooth tone w/ pronounced mids.

I HATE that noise. Hate the show, hate the cast, hate the characters. The only thing evenly remotely tolerable about that entire sack of $#!7 was the Soup Nazi; and he was only funny the first time I was forced to watch his schtick. But I digress...:p

Amp; tone; problems; see above. Thanks.

Rob
    :bassist:

7. Sounds like you need the horn off, treble cut some, slight mid-high cut, boost low-mids, bass cut some (this with contour off). From there Boost and master are interdependent, but I would start with high master (like 3:00) and adjust input volume for overall loudness needs. Boost will add what sounds like sustain.