1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB115 XLR line level out to GK powered cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bpark65, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Bpark65

Bpark65

Feb 26, 2012
    Have the GK MB115 and love it. Light and loud. Not perfect but it's a great amp when you consider the price and portability. Using it primarily as a practice amp and the guys say I have more presence than the ampeg 4B pro/4x10 HLF 90 lb rig. At 10 o'clock keeps up with two Vox AC amps and full drums in a practice setting. We're not earsplitting but we do practice at show volumes. Guitar players. Looking at micro amps ampeg b7 and shuttle max. Thought I'd check GK since I'm happy with the sound. Found the powered cabs only to realize if I'd spent a little more money I could have gotten an amp with a direct out to the powered cab. Hmmppfftt. gK tech support says I can get noise out of the XLR out but the line level isn't sufficient to get good results to the powered cab. I'm thinking someone smarter than me has thought about this already. Surely there's a box that I can put between the two that will raise the line level to something useable for the powered cab. Anybody?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    A little ART TubeMP mic pre is handy for stuff like that. Has xlr and 1/4" ins and outs. That should boost it up enough. They'll drive poweramps, even ones that need a fairly high input level.

They're around $40.

3. The GK MB115 doesn’t have the XLR Chain output jack on it like the new MB-II combos have and the new GK MBP cabinets requires a +10dBu "true balanced" line input.

I bought my two GK MB115's before the new MB-II/MBP option was available so I use a splitter to drive my two stacked GK MB115s. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/lehle-p-split-splitter-guitar-pedal

Other TBers also use the Radial BigShot switcher to drive two bass rigs.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...neering-tonebone-bigshot-aby-passive-switcher

However, if you have one of the MB115 combos with the little fan on the rear (the first MB115’s have no fan and don‘t qualify for the trade in) and if you buy a new MBP cabinet I understand you can send your MB115 to GK and they will trade you a new MB115-II for your old MB115 so it will work with your new MBP cab.