Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK MB150 combo user's poll

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fdeck, Jan 4, 2005.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I am planning to build yet another extension speaker for my GK MB150E combo amp. The current design on my drawing board is expected to have the same low end frequency response curve as the combo, but with a 15" driver for higher efficiency plus greater power handling for future use with a more powerful amp head. I am aware that most URBists don't like the sound of 15's. But based on a fair amount of study, I expect the box design to overcome the typical "boomy" sound associated with commercial 1x15 cabs. Driver choice and box design play critical roles.

Or, I could change the frequency response to give the speaker more "boom" than the MB150E. Or less. With a small box, those are the basic options, and therein lies my dilemma. I am happy with my overall sound, but would like to hear from other bassists whether you think the MB150 combo should have more or less low end for the best possible sound with URB.

This is a chance for me to get a variety of opinions before I commit to cutting plywood. If and when I am successful, I will happily share my design.

2. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Its hard to tell, because we don't know how your bass sound thru the GK, also it depend on pick ups, and the king of thing you are into as far as style. Some guys like low action and use magnetic pick ups, and they sound very electricky, some guys like high action and use mic only, and you get everything in between, plus I don't know what kind of bands you play with and clubs etc.
    I have a GK and I use a mic only, and I am perfectly happy with it, I don't need anything else.
    Maybe let's us know your set up and a little more about your kind of gigs etc.

3. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I play a Kay bass with a Realist pickup (no preamp) though a GK MB150S combo. I get plenty of bottom end for the low-to-medium volume jazz combo and musical theater gigs I play and I were to add an extension cabinet, my main concern would be maintianing a tight, focused sound that is full without being too boomy. I probably would choose another small cabinet with a 12" speaker rather than a 15", but that's my opinion.

- Steve

http://kaybass.home.att.net

4. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    All opinions welcome. Thanks for the tips. I share the apprehension about 15's. Since I am not in a huge hurry, I will research this a bit more.

5. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    A sealed back/ported front cab should let you control/tune the frequency response. I've played through both a 115 and a 112 as extra cabs with my MB150. I actually liked the 112 better. There was PLENTY of bass response. You can usually find the 112 cabs for sale used everywhere.good luck!
    JK

6. I use a homemade cab with 1x12" Bag End driver. It's a sealed cab, and on it's own sounds as bad as the GK on it's own, but together they are magic.

7. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    Although my Full Circle sounds quite good through my MB150S, I want as flat a response as possible for the fundamental (to 40 Hz, if possible). So I have an old Sunn 15" cabinet (about 2.75 cu. ft.) that I've replaced the JBL D130F with a Parts Express Dayton Series II 15" woofer and I've covered the port so it's sealed. The simulated frequency response is flat to about 40-45Hz. Fortunately the volume level is comparable to the MB150S internal speaker to operate them together. And it sounds good and deep. Disclaimer: The only gig where I used it was with my Moses electric upright, but it sounded really good. A large Aguilar/Euphonic Audio rig was available, but I preferred my setup. At least it held its own OK.

8. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I agree with Jeff, a sealed enclosure should be better. IMO, that may make a 15" usable for UB.

I never understood cabinets with rear ports. In theory, you could easily have the sound from the back be out of phase with the sound from the front depending on where you place it, the room, etc. Maybe I'm wrong?

I screwed around with building cabs. Then I bought some Bergantino's. Mmm Mmm Good. :)

9. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'm also suspicious of rear ports. In purely practical terms, it would complicate putting the speaker on a chair, which is often the only convenient way of raising it off the floor. Also (on one SWR combo that I saw) the rear port is completely open, which is an invitation for stuff to fall in "by accident" such as childrens toys.

10. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I can personally attest to removing toys from my SWR Baby Blue cabinet. Gotta keep my kids away from the F-holes on my bass!!!

11. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Well, what would life be like without experimenting once in a while. I bought the 15" driver. Wish me luck.