Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK MB150 combo with a 5-string bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Low_blow, May 14, 2005.

1. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    How does low B sound through this combo (MB150 alone - without ext. cab)? I've been playing a Fender Jazz (4-string)for 4 years using GK such a combo. I didn't have a chance to play a 5-string through it.

2. endorka

endorka

Oct 15, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Perhaps a bit of a late reply for you - but the answer is "not great". I was able to have a shot on one of these yesterday, and while the E, A, D, G and C strings on my bass sounded fine, the B was definitely distorting more than them. That's not to say it was unusable; the distortion wasn't too bad when heard in the context of the band, an 8 piece jazz combo, and the amp was definitely usable, but it doesn't sound as good as my 125 watt Laney RBW200. It is less than half the weight though.

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have this amp and use it often..

it does not work well with a 5 string unles you play at very very low levels or turn the speaker off and use the headphones....the speaker cannot handle the low b...