1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB150 resurrection?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rubberbass, Mar 5, 2013.

1. rubberbass

rubberbass

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi all, my first post here.

My trusty MB150E (mark I) has finally lost it. Almost constant crackles and pops when I play.
    I had her checked out by the experts who distribute GK gear here in Australia. After two weeks they couldn't find the source of the problem, and sheepishly handed her back, unimproved.

Now she's a door stop.
    Can't sell her like this and seems such a shame to throw her out
    However, I was wondering if there is a way to resurrect her.

There is an MB150 Head only, right? If I purchased one of these, would it be possible to swap out the old head components of the combo and insert the new?

Cheers, rubberbass

2. If it is a constant problem it should not be that hard to find? I don't remember for sure but I think the combo and head only units are the same. The combo amp just missing sheet metal to enclose the case.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Crackles and pops could be any number of things but I find it hard to believe the local repair guys couldn't at least narrow it down a little bit??

Maybe can't pinpoint problem but could at least eliminate speaker, or power supply, etc.?

4. Some don't understand the junctions in opamps, bipolar or JFETs can go bad? Hope it is not just an effects return jack problem.

5. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Great amp. I had one for 10 years and I finally sold it. Light compact with some nice features.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Definitely try "exercising" the effects return, and all of the other jacks, just by plugging in and out a whole bunch of times. Also, see if the amp works when you plug something into the FX return, the aux input, etc.

The head is not the same as the amp in the combo, since the combo has a power transformer that hangs into the speaker compartment. Also, if GK has changed any of their metal work, then a new head will never fit into an old case.

If the amp can't be resurrected, I suggest turning the combo into a cab, wire the speaker to a Speakon jack (don't ground either terminal to the metal case of the speaker), and get a new GK MB200 head. That will be a lighter weight package.

7. kramerj

kramerj Supporting Member

May 22, 2003
    Iowa City, IA
    Has anyone used the MB150S or MB150E with a GK Neo 112 as an extension cab? If so, how did it sound?

8. I have heard a salsa band in Miami where the bass player (using an EUB) ran through the MB150E with a fearful 1X12 as the extension speaker. The fearful was ported so more of the lows came through. I got within 10 feet of the rig for about 15 minutes and the bass coming from that rig was very clean through all the ranges. Also was fairly loud, but most salsa bands are not really LOUD, so it was probably all he ever uses. I'm looking at the Hartke 1X12 with 4/8 ohm switching - that would give you a few more options at tone control with the MB150E.

9. Hi Rubberbass..sorry to hear about yr amp..pretty slack by the GK people..do you live in NSW??..ive just had some work done on a GK cab by a authouried GK tech and he seems pretty cluey..if you need his contact details let me know

Leslie

10. kramerj

May 22, 2003
    Iowa City, IA
    Dear Blankandson,

Thanks for the speaker suggestions!

John

11. kramerj

May 22, 2003
    Iowa City, IA
    Sorry about hijacking the thread---didn't mean to. Hope you found a solution, Rubberbass.