Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK MB150E-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Aug 31, 2002.

1. I just bought one of these little suckers brand new, to use on small gigs with my upright bass. Extra benefit, I just realised, is it's great for toting to rehearsals for BG as well. 23lbs! I wonder what it would go like on a BG gig with my SWR 4x8? Hmmm...

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    You will be surprised. (at least I was, when I hooked up a second 112 cab to my MB150)
    Increased speaker surface together with the higher power output make a huge difference in volume.
    Also the built in speaker does not put out too much highs, so you will also gain a lot of transparency if you hook up another cab...
    Make sure your 4x8 is rated 8Ohms though.
    In case it is a 4Ohm cab you can still switch off the internal speaker of the MB150.

Matthias

3. bootsaco

bootsaco

Sep 8, 2001
    Portland, ME
    i have had alot of success with my MB112 amp too. i play upright and electric, and for bigger gigs, i use an SWR workingman's 2x10, and i get a great sound. unfortunately, the other night, my gallien krueger crapped out on me. i'm not sure what did it. i'm giving the little guy the benefit of the doubt and i'm telling myself that when it fell over in my car, on the way to the gig it broke. hopefully it's not defective. anyway, i picked up a hartke head the day after that to power my 2x10 until my gallien is fixed. that's all for me.
    andy

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I have a MB150S I use for rehearsals & w/ a jazz trio, both on Fender bass.
    On it's own it's great- Then I started to use a Flite 1x12 w/ a 5" driver as an extension- Compact & weighs 25 lbs; the G-K sits nicely on top.
    HUGE improvement- really noticeable- Lots of headroom, great definition, plenty loud.
    Very rewarding to set up this portable, compact rig & be able to drive an R&B band clearly while cutting through the mix!! Gotta luv it!

5. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Hey guys! Trip from GK here! Glad to see you like your MBs.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I picked up its predecessor, the GK 200MB a few years ago, used. What a great little rehearsal amp. When my 2000RB took a crapper on me at a gig, I plugged the little bugger though a 4x10 cabinet, and it rocked. Ran a tad hot to the touch (ouch!) when driven at high volume, but it sounded great.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just bought an old 200mb.
    This amp seems much better
    than any newer version I've
    used. (mb150) Punchier and
    tighter, even though it has less
    power.

8. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Really? I used a borrowed older 200mb when I lived in Houston for some things and it did sound great. I think the newer ones are just a good though. Hmmm.... I will investigate this.

9. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    I love my 150MBS !!!
    I bought it in 1998 use for practice and church gigs and studio work. I have been playing Bass 36 years and this is the first amp I ever owned that I can put in my car myself with no sweat. At Bass Day 2001 I was able to purchase a 112MBX 12" extension cab, from Bob Gallien himself. Now I always use both cabs and take them out to open mics and other fun jams and its sounds awesome !! I have even been able to use it in the 5-piece funky dance band I'm in right now. And thanks to Trip for actually making sure the 112MBX arrived in Upstate NY without a problem.

Peace Out
    Mike

10. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Mike Casale? This is Trip. I was with Bob at the show. I'm the one who shipped your cab to you! Good to hear from you! Hope you are well and playing out.

Regards,
    TRIP

11. Did a country/rockabilly gig with upright on Sat night, and sat the MB on its back facing straight up on top of my SWR 4x8 which was placed conventionally. Great sound, and I could hear myself clear as a bell.

12. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Hey all, what's the difference between the MB150 E and the S models?

13. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Hey all, what's the difference between the MB150 E and the S models?

14. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The MB150E has a few additional features,
    including a built-in chorus, extended EQ,
    and increased patching capability. Otherwise, they are the same as far as output & tone.

Once again, I took my 150S to the rehearsal studio
    w/ a Flite 1x12 extension cab. UNBELIEVABLE how
    this pair cuts through, w/ great tone in a rig I can carry in one trip!
    Bob Gallien really outdid himself designing this one!