Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldFartBassMan, Jun 14, 2004.

1. OldFartBassMan

Jun 10, 2004
    Central NJ
    Damn, I love this amp's sound and portability. But I'm

Withing the last three monthes I found:

1. If I don't use the amp for about 2 weeks or so, when I start it up, the sound goes weak, hollow and distorted. If
    I leave it on for about 25 minutes, the full original sound
    comes back and so far stays for the (2 hour) gig.

2. After this if I use it within a few days or so, the full sound
    comes back instantly when I power up, and all is well.

3. But if I let it sit for 2 weeks, ...return to step 1.

ANYONE else have this problem with a 150E? Any guesses
    as to what's happening? I could keep warming it up, but
    wonder if some major meltdown is just around the corner
    (likely in the middle of a gig!).

I guess it's due for a trip to the repair shop. .....But then
    HE HAS TO make sure to let the
    amp sit for 2 weeks before powering it up, and then has
    to wait another 2 weeks to test if he fixed it. Sheesh!

Any help anyone?? David- comments?

Thanks in advance...
  2. This might be related - I had a problem with my GK-150 which involved it intermittently getting distorted, and then cutting out. After a while it would come back on again. My tech eventually found out exactly what was wrong - took him about a month, but it was only used as my back-up rig so I wasn't in a hurry (he also did all the mods/ECOs etc. recommended by GK) Their service department was about as useful as the proverbial one-legged man at an arse-kicking contest, but they did sell me the schematics for $10. The problem with mine was that the switch contacts on the sockets needed cleaning. Check the effects in/out connectors, and clean the contacts. They are mounted directly to the circuit board, and they are not of the "self-cleaning / wiping-action" type. To do the job properly involves some disassembly, and they're a bit fiddly to get at, but this fix cured the problem with mine. Hope this helps -

Good Luck!

- Wil
  3. I mentioned this to one of our techs. He suggested that it's most likely a problem with the input jack. I guess if it gets oxidized, it won't make a good contact until it warms up.
  4. OldFartBassMan

Jun 10, 2004
    Central NJ
    wow- 24 hours, 2 replies (one from GK!).
    This is a great forum. Hope I can be of help to someone.

ps to Will and his pantomine quote-

Didja hear the Steven Wright line- "I bought a blank cassette and played full volume last night. It drove the mime next door nuts!"
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Sorry, I know nothing about GK.......
  6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't know about your problem, but I have a GK MB150 and just love it!! The perfect amp for practicing at home and small jams.