Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK MB150E BAD THINGS ABOUT TO HAPPEN

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldFartBassMan, Jun 14, 2004.

1. OldFartBassMan

OldFartBassMan

Jun 10, 2004
    Central NJ
    Damn, I love this amp's sound and portability. But I'm
    afraid BAD THINGS ARE ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

Withing the last three monthes I found:

1. If I don't use the amp for about 2 weeks or so, when I start it up, the sound goes weak, hollow and distorted. If
    I leave it on for about 25 minutes, the full original sound
    comes back and so far stays for the (2 hour) gig.

2. After this if I use it within a few days or so, the full sound
    comes back instantly when I power up, and all is well.

3. But if I let it sit for 2 weeks, ...return to step 1.

ANYONE else have this problem with a 150E? Any guesses
    as to what's happening? I could keep warming it up, but
    wonder if some major meltdown is just around the corner
    (likely in the middle of a gig!).

I guess it's due for a trip to the repair shop. .....But then
    HE HAS TO make sure to let the
    amp sit for 2 weeks before powering it up, and then has
    to wait another 2 weeks to test if he fixed it. Sheesh!

Any help anyone?? David- comments?

Thanks in advance...

2. This might be related - I had a problem with my GK-150 which involved it intermittently getting distorted, and then cutting out. After a while it would come back on again. My tech eventually found out exactly what was wrong - took him about a month, but it was only used as my back-up rig so I wasn't in a hurry (he also did all the mods/ECOs etc. recommended by GK) Their service department was about as useful as the proverbial one-legged man at an arse-kicking contest, but they did sell me the schematics for $10. The problem with mine was that the switch contacts on the sockets needed cleaning. Check the effects in/out connectors, and clean the contacts. They are mounted directly to the circuit board, and they are not of the "self-cleaning / wiping-action" type. To do the job properly involves some disassembly, and they're a bit fiddly to get at, but this fix cured the problem with mine. Hope this helps -

Good Luck!

- Wil

3. I mentioned this to one of our techs. He suggested that it's most likely a problem with the input jack. I guess if it gets oxidized, it won't make a good contact until it warms up.

4. OldFartBassMan

OldFartBassMan

Jun 10, 2004
    Central NJ
    wow- 24 hours, 2 replies (one from GK!).
    This is a great forum. Hope I can be of help to someone.

ps to Will and his pantomine quote-

Didja hear the Steven Wright line- "I bought a blank cassette and played full volume last night. It drove the mime next door nuts!"

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Sorry, I know nothing about GK.......

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't know about your problem, but I have a GK MB150 and just love it!! The perfect amp for practicing at home and small jams.