GK MB150E Head + Hartke 2x10XL cabinet!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peedu07, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Hello!

I'm thinking of buying a Gallien Krueger MB150E Head and Hartke 2x10XL cabinet. I plan to use it both on db and electric bass. I play mainly electric but I really want to find a set that suits both.

I live in Estonia so I can't test almost anything here except for Hartkes and EBS amps. I can buy this set new here for about 900EUR (it's about 1100$).

about my playing style and bands:
    I play in tow small jazz trios (bass, drums, sax and bass, drums and piano), in a 8-piece jazz band, in a bigband and a lot of session projects. I'd like to use both electric and upright almost in all these projects. And since I always have to carry around my upright and electric (warwick thumb-5.5KG!!!) then I have my mind set on small combos or quite lightweight combinations of a head and a cabinet. I use a lot of slapping tapping and harmonic action on the electric, and I like to do a lot of slides with the upright, I also like a growling upright sound (i dont have a pickup yet for my upright but I'm looking towards wilson or K&K double big twin).

If anyone could suggest me something different in the price range of 800-1250USD then please let me know!

What I like about the GK head are the features including compressor/limiter, a wide range of different eq and contour settings, and effects looping possibilities, the easy weight, and the fact that this series amp has sounder on about 10000 albums. And the Hartke just has good sound and attack for electric.

and links for the gear:

thanks in advance!!!

And if you have any other questions concerning my playing style, equipment or anything else then let me know and I'll be keen to answer.

from Estonia
  2. anyone?

just for the record, a guy offered me a Ebs Drome 15" combo for 1300USD, does someone think it's better than what was listed previously?
  3. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    I don't know if it can be an option for you..
    but me i use the GK MB150S.. the combo with the "12 speaker... and i bought the 112MBX extension cabs... i use them with my EB and DB .. no prob...
    the extension cabs is perfect for more presence.. to push "more air"....
    and maybe a cab for you and a cab for the drummer...
    i even use them on small rock gig!
    i love them thay are lightweight and i assure you.. everybody is surprise by their sound when they hear it...

they don't have tweeter.. but the "Hi-boost" make the job!..
    same thing with the 'contour"

hope that will help you..
  4. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Peedu,

I have the Micro head which I use with a GK Neo cab or a Schroeder 1010. I think you need a more efficient cab (which I dont know how the Hartke rates) or one with a 4 ohm impedence to get a solid volume on electric. With my GK cab, the head doesn't produce a ton of usable volume, but with the Schroeder, which is more efficient (and a lower impedence [4 ohms]) it can get quite loud and full. On upright I don't think that setup would be a problem, but since you slap and pop a lot on electric, you might run out of headroom.

If you can swing it, I'd suggest one of the higher-powered GK heads (400 or 700RB possibly). I know they're not as compact as the 150s, but I think it would be worth it not to run out of headroom. Either that, or go for an efficient 4ohm cab if you can find one that's compact enough for you.

PS- i'm half Latvian....haven't yet been able to make it over to the Baltics, though.