1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB150E-III/112 sound cutting out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dominic DeCosa, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    A few months ago I bought a used GK MB150E-III/112 combo amp from a local pawn shop for about $300. I worked fine for the first week or so, but soon after the sound started cutting out. It doesn't happen every time I turn it on and I've been able to make it through my last two gigs without a major cut outs. When it does cut out, it's usually for a few seconds and then comes back, but sometimes it'll just keep going in and out for a long while. I haven't yet taken it apart since it's a lot of working taking these apart. I thought I'd check here first to see if anybody has any ideas. I'm a college student so I can't afford to have it checked up. I can post a recording of the amp cutting in and out if it'll help at all.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Check the effects loop by running an instrument cable from the preamp out to the power amp in. Sometimes the jacks there can get dirty and not make proper contact and intermittently cut out. Other than that check all the jacks like the input, etc. Check the volume and tone controls to see if they're dirty. If they crackle or sound cuts out they'll need to be cleaned. Check the switch that turns the internal speaker on and off.

There's not too much else you can do yourself if you can't afford to have a tech look at it.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1 about the FX loop.

4. Dominic DeCosa

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Thanks a lot. It was the effects loop. I'm just going to keep the cable plugged into the loop until I have time to open up the amp and look at the jacks.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Good. That's what I did too on a 400RB.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just a note that opening this amp can be a trial, and you have to be very careful not to strip the screw threads going into the sheet metal.

In the meantime, you can get a tiny little cord with molded right angle plugs at GC (I think it is Hosa brand), normally made for joining guitar effects pedals. It could probably live there permanently.

7. Dominic DeCosa

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    That's exactly what I'm doing. I had a little Hosa cable from when I tried using effects pedals a few years back. The cable is finally getting put to good use.