gk mb150s w/ ext. cab enough for gigs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 16, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am looking into using a gk mb150s w/ ext. cab onstage with a cover classic rock band.

The gk mb150s w/ ext. cab is 150watts altogether. Each cab has a 100 watt 8ohm driver. The two 12" drivers should help to increase the volume. Also, i would di to the PA system.

So would this setup be enough?

Anyone know what the db sensitivity of the speakers in these cabinets are?

What about using a power amp to increase the wattage?

I am thinking about pursuing this setup as it would be super light and that is very important to me as i dont drive.
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    It should work really well, as long as you guys don't play crazy loud (150 watts only goes so far....). My "MB150-into-a-2X10-Rig" has bailed me out more times then I care to admit......

There's a Soundtech PS-802 power amp for sale in the classified section (single rack space, 800 watts, 15 pounds). That, with the MB150, would be a killer light-weight rig IMHO. You'd probably want to beef up your extension speaker though...
  3. Since you´re going through the PA, I´d say you´ll be fine. The less noise you make onstage the better, as the soundguy will have more control over the FOH sound. Excessive low end from the backline is not desirable IMO, phase issues and such can seriously screw up the FOH bass tone. Especially so in small venues.
  4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I wish I could get the guitarists in my band to buy into that.... :rolleyes:
  5. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    +1... The GK MB150S + ext. cab is my main rig. Im extremely satisfied with it, very very transportable and it sounds fantastic. If you are playing smaller avenues etc. It's perfect! I play mostly modern-jazz and fusion, and the GK nails my needs.
    I would highly recommend a closer look! :bassist:
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    anyone know where i can get the gk mbx 112 cheap, besides ebay??
  7. Tell me about it... Fortunately my current bands have incredibly sensible guitarists, but I´ve had my share of the "it sounds like crap if I don´t crank it"-crowd. :rollno:
  8. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    I have played the MB150s with an Eden D210T cabinet for a number of years and I liked it very much. Plenty of power for small gigs and very versatile.

Later on I did have the opportunity to try it out with a friend's GK MBX112 cabinet and to be honest I didn't like that at all, it just didn't deliver the goods, it was a step back in definition without improving low end delivery.

Just my 2 cents, steven
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, 2 10"s have more punch and faster movement than a single 12"; also the MBX112 is in a light aluminium box, unlike he Eden; and oh yeah, there's some weight diff. between the two, as well ;)
  10. Go to www.torontomusician.com and go back to mid-late December on the Gear Available page. I believe the guy wants $500 for it.
  11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks big ben!

I sent the seller an email. I just about bought one from a fellow tber to realize at the last minute he was selling only the head. D'oh!

I am still looking for (pre-owned) just the bass cab extenison (mbx 112). Man, those things are expensive new!
  12. I'm afraid my experience with a GK MB150 was not so positive.

For me, it couldn't even hack my three piece band and in my 5 piece - forget it.

I was so disappointed - especially considering the very high price of the amp - it all looked like it would be the answer to everything - small, light, enough power etc but, IME not so.
  13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    hey, what if instead of buying the combo i just use my swr st-220 and two mbx 112 cabs? I assume the tone may not be so great, but it would be super portable. Two 12" cabs running at 100 watts each would allow my swr 220 to put out the full 4ohm wattage of 220 watts. With the excellent eq on the swr i might be able to get some decent tone as well.

It would save me alot of cash as the gk mb150 is mighty pricey.

any thoughts?
  14. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
  15. If someone is charging $500 for a 112MBX, you're getting ripped off. The list price on it new is $369. average price is going to be less than $290. If you like the sound of the combo by itself, then you'll be happy with the 112MBX, but if you want more bottom or more definition, then you should use a 210, 410, 115, or the GK Neo 112 or Neo 212. One of those will be louder than the 112MBX because of more speaker surface and more air inside the cabinet.
  16. i've been playing those little g-k combo's since 1990 or so. i've used alot of extension cabs and after reading this thread and a few others, i realized i never paid attention to the ohm rating of the extension cabinet!

lately i've been using the cabinet from my swr baby blue amp (seperate head and cab). i think it's a 4 ohm cab with 2 X 8" woofer and a 5" tweeter.

sooooo, am i shortening the life of my beloved little amp by doing this?

17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    the gk mb150 puts out 150 watts at 8ohms. If the internal speaker is on and you are using the 4ohm swr cab i think you are asking 2.67ohms of the gk amp which is too much and may damage the amp. If the speaker is off i think you should be alright as the amp then gives 100watts at 8ohms.

Keep in mind i am just learning about this stuff myself so i could be wrong. :rolleyes:
  18. I'm wondering if anyone really IS using the G-K MB150 (E/S)-III heads with a cab for small gigs, and then running the line out on the back panel to a slave power amp to push cabs for bigger venues?

80 watts into 8 ohms or 150 into 4, and then like 1000 watts into 8 or 1500 into 4 (my DCM 1500 amp) with the same controls, for example, sounds like a nice, scalable approach for those of us with power amps already.

I also wonder if the preamp circuitry on the Micro-bass heads is the same as that on the RB heads, with the obvious exceptions of the mute switch and the Drive control..

I've thought about getting an RB 1001-II, but it would certainly be redundant, power-wise, with my rack setup. Might be better to go the MB route if the preamps are essentially the same as the RB series. I'm guessing Daniel E. at GK will know this.
  19. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Hmmm... I second that question.