GK MB2-500 problems vs MB-500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcapote, Sep 9, 2010.

1. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    I was reading some post that someone made on tb about the MB2-500 having some issues that the MB-500 didnt? what are the issues with the MB2 I should look out for? I seen a guy selling one for $250 locally(which blew my mind price wise) and was considering buying it but that post scared me a little and was hoping for elaboration on it.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wouldn't consider buying an MB2 used without a warranty myself. First few seemed to have lots of issues at least if this board is an indicator. You could buy yourself a squaretrade warranty maybe?

3. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    yeah I was just wanting to confirm what I read in that one thread. I am not into taking chances with units that have known problems. price seemed too good to be true so i didnt have my hopes up anyways. was just looking at a cheap option for 500watts so i can make my XTI a dedicated PA head. since im getting some jack10s precut from leland in a week or so.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's awesome - yeah I wouldn't risk it dude. You can get the brand new MB500 from Music123 for 400ish if you haggle. Just tell'em you've got a 20% off coupon in the past and you'd like that deal, they'll give it to you. GK's warranty is solid for the first owner.

Be sure to let us know how the jacks turn out. If they're anything like my J12s you're going to be super impressed -- my J12 could crush any 15"+horn main with ease. The 212 stack easily louder than any 2x15 PA cab.

5. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    yeah im going 2 jack 10s and 2 fearful 15subs through an xti2000 we'll see how it turns out. buying the parts a little at a time, since i bought the amp, and builts the fearfuls, im taking my time money wise on the BFMs, my gui**** is suppose to be buying the mixer, and im waiting to see if my drummer and singer are gonna chip in on anything like cables, mics, or something LOL. I still need to decided what im gonna run for my amp. either get my HA5000 fixed or just grab another head and build a little fearfulish combo

6. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Bought two MB2-500s from prior users, and both had problems. One clipped and wouldn't come back on, and the second works for like half an hour, then begins re-starting continuously about every 10 secs. I literally bought a brand new MB-500 today and will test it out soon. Although the early ones had troubles, it is still a fantastic amp and sounds really punchy and growly. I would be wary of ones with a low price though. I thought I had good deals and both gave me serious headaches. I had a tech check out the 2nd one and he couldn't get it to re-start like it does for me.
    Am debating whether to try another tech or sell it as is.

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd call up GK and try to negotiate them into honoring the warranty. The QC on those first few MB2-500s was pretty weak sauce based on all I've heard, and if I were them I'd think about making good on at least one of the two.

8. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    Sucks about your MBs Greevus...
    How much would GK charge to fix and "upgrade" those units?

9. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 11, 2005
    South Milwaukee , Wisconsin
    Gecko Leatherworks
    I had an MB2-500 about a year ago.
    It fried on me a week before a gig. GK took care of me and I got a replacement in time for the show.
    I got rid of it....well......cause I'm not real smart sometimes.

Two weeks ago I got a new one (from local GC).

Now I read this thread only to find out its now the MB-500?

When did they change the model name? Why? Whats the difference?

Incidentily. I have not been able to play it yet.
    I ordered a Hartke Hydrive 112 that I'm waiting to get.

Also, a local dealer quoted me $380. Local GC beat the price a little. With tax I paid $390 plus one year no interest

10. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    Wow Gecko..I thought these things were a good deal at $500.
    As of late I have been hearing $400...
    Thats getting close to the backline 600 price..I wonder if they will discontinue it because of the MBs success.

MMM anyway the GK dropped the 2 designation and added a limiter switch. Also I think they tweeked the EQ a bit. Other than that not much difference.

11. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 11, 2005
    South Milwaukee , Wisconsin
    Gecko Leatherworks
    I noticed the limiter switch on the top of the unit.
    I thought that was a weird place for a switch. I didn't think my first one had it. Now I know why .

As long as I got the same price from GC I was fine. I really wanted the year interest-free. No-brainer

12. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    The MB-500 takes all the Rev 7 fixes and adds a limiter. I am guessing they dropped the "2" to give things a fresh start. Back in March or so, they exchanged my Rev 0 MB2-500 I had bought brand new from GC for a MB-500. The customer service was great. I bought the head in January and then read about all the warranty stuff on the early Revs. I then contacted GK and they let me use the Rev 0 until they had stock on the MB-500 and then exchanged it out. I can't say that I notice much of a difference between the two.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021