1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB200 head and two cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockamimjazz, Jan 7, 2012.

1. rockamimjazz

rockamimjazz

Sep 10, 2011
    Virginia
    Hey all, my current rig is the MB200 200w head paired with the GK 115MBE cabinet (the 400w/8ohm model). I'm considering adding the 210MBE (also 400w/8ohm) cabinet to make a nice little stack, give me a little more punch, and take full advantage of the 200w that my head can deliver. The head is rated at 200w at 4ohms. Is there any reason or danger in running this head with two 400w cabinets?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No

3. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    no

4. The amp could care less if they are 50 watt or 1200 watt cabs. Only the impedance (ohms) matter to the amp and two 8 ohm cabs is what it likes to produce maximum power output. Mixing a 115 and 210 eh.

5. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    No danger.

Another 115MBE would match up better than a 210.

6. rockamimjazz

rockamimjazz

Sep 10, 2011
    Virginia
    Appreciate everyone's replies. When I put the rig together and had to choose just one cabinet, I decided that I liked the sound of a 1x15 instead of a 2x10. The 1x15 does the job just fine for the band I'm currently in. But for those times when I may want a more than the 1x15 can handle (assuming there is no PA to go through), I'd like to be able to pair it with another cabinet .

Conventional wisdom seems to be that adding additional speakers and not more watts (very happy with the MB200) is the way to go, to get more sound. Wouldn't adding another 1x15 give me too much of a good thing on the low end? I guess that's why I thought a 2x10 would be better, in that it would give me more sound and cover the mids and highs a little better too. Thoughts?

7. Yes more speaker area trumps wattage alone :) The mids and highs will be better with like cabs than different cabs. Too much low end, cut the bass control on the amp head! :D The increase in overall volume would be the same with either cab (210 or 115), just smoother with a like 115 cab. Mixing a 210 with a 115 can cause peaks and valleys in the overall response.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Speaker size doesn't correlate to more/less low end. Generally speaking a 15 won't produce more low end than a 10, all things being equal.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 2 matched cabs will sound better than 2 mixed cabs, every time.