GK MB200 vs 400RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TravTrav, Aug 20, 2013.

1. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    I was using an old 400RB for guitar, and recently replaced it with an MB200.....and it doesn't seem to have as much headroom/volume than the 400RB. I dunno, maybe I'm just going deaf.

What's your experience between these two heads, TB?

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Different bass heads with the voicing of the MB200 being definitely more tailored to bass guitar.

3. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    That's probably it. It's not like the MB is lacking balls, just sounded a bit different.

4. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I have the GK 400RB-II and I would have to say that this amp is killer!

I have an Ampeg PF-500 and I would have to crank it just to get the same volume as the 400RB.

I'm really surprised it can get big. I paired both with a GK NEO 4x12.
    I have all my knobs at 12 o'clock besides the master volume. It's at 9 o'clock and the 400rb is very strong. I'm glad I have one.
    I might want an 800rb if it ever breaks on me.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The 400 rb is a killer amp, but that comparison is meaningless. The input gain structures are not necessarily identical. In other words the Gk might give everything it has by noon where the Ampeg might give it all at 3:00. If they are both putting out the same wattage then the knob position matters not...

I really do like the Gk 400 and yeah I'd say it has more balls than the mB200. The 200 is a really freakin' cool little amp though. Love mine and use it a ton for quieter gig's. When I need more, the MBFusion comes out to play... Between them, they are two of my fav amps ever...

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    That's funny cuz I lent my old GK 400B to my guitar playing friend and he gigged with it for years on top his 412 cab. Sounded killer with his effects.

I finally got it back and sold it for 200 bucks. Wish I kept it.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021