1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK mb200 without cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andres3195, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Hi everyone. Today i bought a GK mb200 bass head, but dont have any cab yet. I'll be buying it next month probably.
    I would like to turn the amp on, wired to my alpha lexicon interface, so that i can use it and record with it.
    My doubt is... does it harm the head in any way to use it not being connected to any cab?
    I've been told that and also the opposite. I dont know what to believe lol.

2. No, that's tube amps that don't like not having a load.
    but don't short out the speaker output

3. Thanks for your response.
    But what does "don't short out the speaker" exactly mean? Im sorry, my first language is spanish, there are a few expressions that i dont know.

4. Little Rock

Little Rock Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Just don't mess with the speaker output connector and you will be fine.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That head will work fine without a speaker/cab connected as do most solid state amplifiers - tube amplifiers need to playing into the load (rated in Ohms) that they expect to see. If you look on the back of your MB200 it actually has a headphone jack that you can use to power headphones or as a 1/4 line out to a mixer or other device (there is a switch to select the output level). Enjoy!

Downunderwonder likes this.
  6. Ok, thanks guys. I finally turned it on and been playing with it through my Lexicon Alpha. Pretty nice amp!

7. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    Why doesn't
    the mb200 head have a master volume? How do you get sound out of a cabinet if the head has no volume control?

8. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I think the power amp is essentially set wide open (like full volume) and the gain control is used to feed varying input levels to the power section from the pre-amp which you do have control over. I might be wrong...and frequently am!

While this sounds a bit odd at first a lot of players set amps up this way. In fact, it may be in some GK manual(s) or something I read from Bob Gallien, but I recall seeing a suggestion that you set a GK amp up with the master at around 3 o'clock and use the gain to set working volume. Some SS Ampegs used to work well that way too...the B2/B2R comes to mind in this regard.

9. AstronautChuck

AstronautChuck

Feb 1, 2018
    Bump here, so i can use MB200 with headphones and without a cab?

10. kevmoga

kevmoga

Jan 25, 2010
    Georgia
    Yes, I use mine primarily as a headphone amp these days, with nothing plugged into the speaker output. Been doing that for about three years, no problems so far.

AstronautChuck and Al Kraft like this.
  11. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Absolutely, the GK MB200 manual even says specifically that no speaker load is an acceptable operating condition.

12. AstronautChuck

AstronautChuck

Feb 1, 2018
    Great that was I was looking for since my GF has tinnitus and I don't want to bother her :)! I think after this I will play my Stingray thought it

13. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    For whatever reason(s), I find MM basses and GK heads usually play quite nicely together, very complementary.

AstronautChuck likes this.