1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB210, Which extension cab? 1X15 or 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stewie26, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

About 6 months ago I purchased a GK MB210 combo amp. I am very pleased with it. It weighs only 33 lbs, which my back loves, and pretty happy with the sound. The amp is 350 watts output, but when you plug an extension cab to the amp, the wattage increases to 500 watts. I am not sure if the extension cabs gets the 150 watt boast or if the amp increases to 500 watts increases wattage to both combo speakers and extension speaker(s) equally. Anyway, GK has two matching cab options that are designed to stack with the MB210. A 1 by 15 or a 2 by 10. I play in a classic rock cover band and would like to use the extension cab for some of our larger venues. I play a Gibson SG and a 92' P-Bass Deluxe Plus for the classic rock stuff. I can not compare the two cabs side by side because their special order so stores do not stock them. I am trying to make an educated guess which cab to order? I am leaning towards the 1 X 15 cause I like the deep sound. Your thoughts please.

2. get the 210

3. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Do a search man. This exact topic has been discussed for pages and pages.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep, matching cabs FTW, and who says the 15 would be any "deeper" sounding? this may be officially the most beat-to-death topic on all of talkbass!

also, if the impedance of each cab is the same like it should be, you'd get half the total power into each one.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to all above, 210 FTW, and equal power to both 210's. Also, fyi, the difference between 350 and 500 watts is negligable, but the difference between 210 and 410 is huge.

6. actually, they (210/115) should get about the same amount of power each - I think you’re thinking about a 410 over 115. ;)

OP - get the 210 cab

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
  8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Absolutely NOT. The GK amp is rated @ 4 ohms MINIMUM, so ONLY an 8 ohm ext cab is possible. Also, mixing an 8 ohm 210 with an 8 ohm 410 is a BAD MATCH. Just get the 210 and rock on.

9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Hi, OP here. I did a search (as someone suggested) and really did not get the answer. One thread went on for 24 pages and never really answerd the original OP's question. GK makes the MBE15 and in their writings they state that the extension cab was engineered and designed to be used with the MB210 combo amp. The cab is the exact same dimensions as the combo amp and is meant to be stacked with the 15 inch speaker on the bottom and the two 10 speakers on top. The 10 inch speakers are loaded into the combo in an almost vertical array. Buyin the MBE210 extension cabinet, instead of the MBE15, does not seem to be an option anymore as they have been discontinued and no store seems to have them. I did find a MBE15 that is at my local Sam Ash store and it is the last one they have. After reading a few hours and the 24 pages on the pros and cons about mixing driver sizes, I am more confused than before I started. Why would GK design and manufacture a 15" driver extension cab specifically for the MB210 if it is Bad Science? They could have just made the MBE210 and been done with it. GK has been around for a long time and must have some solid engineers on their design team. I am hoping the answer is that GK took into account some of the cons that were brought up by the "Do not mix driver size guys" and engineered the two units to be well balanced and complimary to each other.

10. If the 2x10 ext cab is off the table, i'd check the GKMB210 thread for people with experience for that exact matchup. It may not be so bad. Thew power handling capabilities are more well matched then the ill-fated 410/115 matchup.

GK "engineered" the rig by looks and or demand. Where sound quality is paramount(Front of house and H-fi) dissimilar drivers are NEVER used in the same passband.

As for bass guitar backline, many have done it with little problem. Doesn't mean it's the best way, but it's not going to self destruct or attract snakes.

Again, read through the mega-thread on the combo, and I'm pretty sure you will find some happy users of the combination you seek. You can certainly do worse.

Tber Sojourner is currently selling the 210combo on a 115mbe stack right now in the classifieds. It may be worth your time to send him a PM.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 a 210/115 combination can work just fine. It is NOT ideal, but it is much better than the dreaded 410/115 pairing you see so often. Get the 15, and enjoy. The world will not end, and your bass amp will not explode.

RGB74 likes this.
  12. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    The MBE410 comes in either 4 or 8 ohm. Why would an 8 ohm 410 not be a good match with a 8 ohm 210? What would happen? Why would GK specifically state the following in their product description, "Gallien-Kruger MBE Series enclosures are the perfect compliment to the MB Series heads and MB210 combo".
    Another question was brought up about different size drivers and the horror that creates - especially on a 410 /115 match. Again, to each their own, the Mesa Powerhouse 410/115 is a great cab with mixed drivers and I'd put my Bergantino HT322 with 112/210/horn up against any number of cabs out there, I also see a lot of love around here for the Accugroove stuff with mixed driver sizes (I haven't tried or heard any, just going on whats been posted on TB) but they are supposed to sound quite good. So I'm not sure all the mixed driver panic is much to worry about.