GK MB210: Will it be enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JvJazz83, Oct 17, 2019.

1. JvJazz83

JvJazz83

Aug 6, 2017
    Norway
    Hi, there All Ye Of Great Wisdom.
    I currently have a GK mb200 head which I run into a MBE 210 (1st gen. with the silver grille and neos @400 watts). I sometimes daisychain it to a generic old passive 15" PA-speaker to get full use of the 200 watts. I have even been running with the 15" alone. I find this "rig" to be a little harsh soundig, and mid scooped, but have been able to eq to where it is fully usable.

I have been looking to upgrade to something a little more powerful for some time, but haven't pulled the trigger yet, working on a tight budget... I have been looking in the local (national) classifieds, at heads in the 500-800 watt range, like the TC BH 550/-800, Markbass LMII(I), and others. These do not appear very often in the for-sale sections here in Norway, at least not at a pricepoint I can defend at the time being, as I don't play much out these days...
    i would probably soon run into a "need" for new cabs as well if i got one of the aforementioned heads. Maybe a couple of maching 1x12s or something bigger.

So; The other day the following appeared on the used market, some 6 hours drive from me: A very lightly used GK MB210 combo (1st gen.) at a very nice price ( about $150,-) said to be bought in 2012 and put in storage in 2013. This is, as most of you will know basically the big brother of my current setup, with the speakers being the same, and the amp effectivly a MB 500.
    in many ways I think this may be a good setup for me, as I will have maching cabs, and 130, 350, and 500 watts available at any given time. So my question is: Will the mb 210 combo be a distinct upgrade from what i have now, compared to other 500-800 watt heads?

2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I've only tried the combo and head in the store but I would guess you'd get more headroom, cleaner sound, from the combo because of the extra wattage. There wouldn't be a huge difference in overall volume as it's essentially the same cab. If the combo is in good shape that's a great price though!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  3. JvJazz83

JvJazz83

Aug 6, 2017
    Norway
    Thank you for your thoughts. I guess headroom is good anyway, and with two cabs (MB210 combo and MBE extesion cab) I hope I might get a little more voume as well. Any other head will be at least twise the price, and leave me with my MBE210 cab and the old PA- speaker...

4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Yes I imagine the matching cabs would have much better synergy than the old pa speaker. I'm sure it would be a nicer rig plus you'd have the convenience of the combo amp. I say go for it.

JvJazz83 likes this.
  5. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Seems reasonable to me. Run the combo as your gig rig and put it on top of your existing 210 for extra watts and speakers.

JvJazz83 likes this.
  6. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Agree with our pals above. I've been a fan of 2x10 cabs for a while and I've thought about putting together a similar rig for myself - a 2x10 combo with another 2x10 cab available as an extension. Although I currently have a pair of 2x10's and a separate head that's big and hefty, I'm probably going to pick up a GK MB 500 to use perhaps with one cab when I want to go with a rig that's both portable and capable.

I'd expect that MB210 to work rather well :thumbsup:

JvJazz83 likes this.
  7. JvJazz83

JvJazz83

Aug 6, 2017
    Norway
    Thank you for all your replies! I will proceed and try to close this deal. (some logistic snags to clear) At least I will have a fundation to keep building my "arsenal" of amps, or something to trade up with if it comes to that.

8. The MB210 is a nice combo which will need an extension speaker in order for it to push the full 500 watts. Otherwise you will be pushing about 350 watts. I have used the MB210 and was a bit disappointed with it so I went to the MB212 and found this to be all the amp I would ever need. If 350 watts is sufficient for your needs then by all means go for it! GK is an excellent USA made amp. Their combos are the only thing I will use. I especially like the ability to attach a powered extension speaker which doubles the output. Good luck. :thumbsup:

9. JvJazz83

JvJazz83

Aug 6, 2017
    Norway
    Thank you, Dana. As I said in my OP I already have a MB200 head with a MBE 210 cab, so the extention for the combo is already on place. However this is the older version which does not support their powered cabs, but I'm not worried about that.

10. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    The combo should be an improvement over the current head/cab due to the increased power, but not a drastic difference. Using the combo with the extension cab should be a very noticeable improvement, probably the best you can do for $150.

JvJazz83 likes this.