1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB212 combo vs GK Neo212 with MB500 head ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I've owned both in the past but never at the same time so I never got to do a side by side comparison.

I sold my GK gear a few years ago and went with the Fender Rumble 200 and Rumble 500,,, the Fenders are great and all but I've decided to go back to GK as I miss that GK sound.

I play lots of gigs so I love the ease of use with a combo but I remember loving the sound of my GK Neo212 and MB500 head and even MB200 head, but also remember loving the sound of my MB212 almost as much.

I'm so on the fence between getting the GK MB212 combo or getting the GK Neo212 and MB500.
    Obviously getting the combo will be cheaper with a quicker set-up than getting the Neo cab and MB head, but is the higher cost and longer set-up justified sound wise going with the separates over the combo.

Any opinions or advice on my rant would be greatly appreciated.
    Especially from anyone that done a side by side of the two GK choices I'm debating.
    All my bass's are BEAD set-up.

Cheers
    Davyo

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    GK 212 Neo cab and MB500 head. You want another cabinet to add? The MB head can still be used. End up liking a different head? Buy it and use it; the MB500 is now a backup. The combo limits you - although it's really a nice combo and quite loud, I suggest going with separate parts. You can always replace/trade/sell something without much issue. If the head or cabinet go BOOM, guess what? Now you can replace one of them EASILY.

3. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Thanks for your feedback but having already owned combos and separates I'm well aware of all the points you made.

All I'm concerned about is how does the sound compare between the MB212 combo vs the Neo212 w the MB500 head.

Headroom is a very small concern, I know with the Neo Cab and MB500 I'm getting 350watts into 2 12's, with the MB212 combo I'm getting the full 500watts pushing the 2 12's,,, although I don't think 150watt difference is going to be to noticeable volume wise.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Having used the MB500 head along with trying the combo, the sound difference is going to minimal and the extra wattage will not be detectable. So, assume the sound is the same and go for the rig that suits you.