1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB212 From incredible to disgust

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shawshank72, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    After reading threads and dying to get one of these I finally obtained one. For 4 days I was in heaven..... This thing is incredible, sounds great and no back pain when I had to move it. I messaged people and raved about how great it is, and I will still say that. Then all the sudden a low gurrrrrr noise when playing and now its dead. What sucks is that you cant just say hey.... I can let one defect go, Ill just return it for another. That dosent exist with this model as its like trying to get blood from a rock to find one available. Mr Gallien, you made one hell of an amp and for 1 practice and a show I was in heaven. I have to return it and god only knows if I can wait and wait and wait and wait for another. Simply put though, it was the greatest amp I almost got to own.:bawl:

2. That is a shame , i hope that RAG reads this and GK get their act together.

3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Well, I don't know of any device that has a zero failure rate.

I understand your frustration for sure, though...

Look on the bright side: it'll be a hassle getting the replacement, but after that you'll be grooving again!

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Having used GK amps and cabs for years with zero failure, I have to chalk this up to a very small percentage of failure for them. Not only that, but this is the first and only time I've heard about any sort of failure on this particular amp.

Contact GK, they'll take care of you right.

5. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    Got one on order. I hope they get you back up and running ASAP.

6. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    I had a problem with my MB212 also. I got it last week, was able to play through it this weekend..... probably 4 hours on it, I slowly started to turn it up, never got a chance to push it, kept my bass in the active input, and I noticed the top speaker started to fart. Then it got worse and worse and started rattling so I contacted MF and Im returning it.

They said the 212 was on backorder for another 3 weeks. Oh well.

It sounded fantastic and was light as anything for the day and a half I was able to play through it. Tweeter a little hissy, but I was able to get good tone with the EQ and didnt need the tweeter on.

I packaged it up and will be taking it back to UPS to ship back today.

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm glad I waited to nab one. I love the design and idea, so hopefully the QC issues can be resolved and fixed so we can use 'em in the future!

500W+212=under 40lbs is awesome. Just would like it to work, and keep working. :meh:

8. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger

Contact brian@gallien.com, we will take care of you promptly.
    Bob

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Nice to see this level of customer service. I salute you!

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    there's a reason why they're not readily available... They're selling 'em as fast as they can make 'em!

Your problem may just be the failure of one small component out of hundreds... Typically, with electronic devices, these things show up in the first thirty days or so of use. Even with things passing a 100% QC regime out the door, there are still going to be some failures over time... The bummer is that even though that failure rate may be as low as .0001%, it still may be 100% for the unlucky buyer (who only buys 1 item at a time)...

This is why the internet is both a blessing and a curse to a manufacturer... One bad experience posted reaches thousands (myself included) instantly... Bob (company president) replies pointing the way to a solution, but there's no indication whether the company was contacted before the original post (most likely the reseller, which is perfectly natural)... I'm certainly no GK fanboi... Don't own one, never have... That being said, whenever I walk into a 'backline-provided' situation and see a GK head (especially an old battle-scarred 400 or 800 RB) the last thing I worry about is GK getting 'their act together'... I've just never seen them not work...

-robert

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I hope it's only temporary. But some of the 115 and 210 combos in that thread seem to be having similar issues. I'll keep an eye out.
    Sadly though, this is gonna kill or at the very least hinder heavily the used market for these. I like GK stuff a lot so here's to hope!

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Check the GK emblem on he grill. Mine was loose and made it seem that the speaker was farting when it wasn't.

13. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    This is why my next purchase will probably be a GK.

14. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Got about 24 hours of play time on my MB210 and no farting as of yet... holding my breath tho

15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've just have to say that my GK212 is still going strong. She gets gigged weekly! I've had her for months now. Still lovin it!

16. I've not had any trouble with my GK and I've been (ab)using it for about 8 years now with at least 2 gigs a week. They definitely have a problem with supply though. I ordered a 1x15 cab and it took almost 2 years for it to make it to my dealer (granted I live in Europe but still). Word is that they cannot keep up with the demand.

That is a great pity because I am really interested in their neo line but I could only try a 1x12 and was suitably impressed.

17. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Sorry man, I know gear trouble is always a PITA. But, GK will take care of you, just know that.

18. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Please believe me when I say I was NOT bashing GK, In fact my words continually say how much I love this thing but its just a bummer that they are hard to come by. I actually thought of buying the mb210 as a backup just because of this fact. I am contacting GK as Mr Gallien has suggested again.
    THIS IN NO WAY WILL CHANGE MY MIND ABOUT BUYING ANOTHER ONE, THESE ARE AWSOME AND IM IN LOVE ;)

19. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Amen

20. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Nope, I checked everything. Its more like a digital gurrrrrr...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.