1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB212 II Does the powered 212 extension cab work well?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thummel, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    I have the GK MB 212 II and was wondering if the powered extension cab makes this a high volume rig or should I keep my two 4x10 Goliath III's and my SVT 4 Pro around for the occasional higher volume venues. Thanks.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah they are phenomenal...but against dual 410's? I dunno...8x10 vs. 4x12.

3. Thummel

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    Right. I'm still very impressed with the MB 212 II for the low to moderate volume performance, especially as light as it is. I'm guessing the 4x12's at 1000 watts is no slouch either.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Just curious as what kind of gigs you're playing. 4 12s and 1000 watts is no small rig. Personally I'd say that the 212 on it's own is a high volume rig, so yes with the extension cab is definitely high volume.

SpruceApple likes this.
  5. Thummel

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    I must admit of the six or seven gigs I've played with the 212 I have yet to push it hard and there are rooms where I got some decent tone from it. I play classic rock Zepp, GFR, Beatles etc, etc.... I guess I need to take it to a large/outdoor venue and see how hard I can spank it. Still trying to wrap my mind around the possibility that this unit could give my Ampeg head and 4x10'(s)a run for the money. I'll have to take the 212 through more paces before I can form an opinion. Thanks

6. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I brought mine last year to an outdoor party where it served as the community bass amp. It was situated on a deck up against the house. I don't think the volume was even at half, and in a band context I could hear it easily about fifty yards away and slightly downhill. Definitely give it a go, it might do all you ask of it.

7. SpruceApple

SpruceApple Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    It will get very loud, with a lot of booty.

8. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    It depends what you're actually using of the 810s and 1000 watts. My guess, maybe 400-500 watts of that power is being used.

9. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Have a MB212 II with a MBP115 II and it's very loud. Probably wouldn't need a whole lot more for most gigs. Unless your band plays at very high volumes it should suffice. With the MBP212 II cab giving 1000 watts instead of the 700 I get you should be able to overpower most bands and venues.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I've been wondering about this combination, but most if not all people I've talk to advise against it ?

11. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Yeah, I see a lot of people saying to never mix cabs and or speaker sizes but this combo sounds good. Look at touring bands and you'll see as many or more players using different cabs and speakers as not. Just what sounds good to you is what's important.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Yup, i noticed. Speaker size being one issue, power is another... The 115 can take "only" 200 watts, whereas the 212 can push 500. How do you get around both issues ?

JonnnyC likes this.
  13. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I played that setup outside live with no PA support and was heard just fine, didn't even break a sweat.

Ghastly likes this.
  14. Troberts 98

Troberts 98

Jan 30, 2017
    I have a Mb115 and was planning on adding a MBP 115. I was trolling Cl and found a MBP 112 for $150can. It was so cheap I couldn't refuse. The guy had only used it at his home studio for recording and was like new. I played a gig this past weekend for a mid size room (150 people) and used both the combo and cabinet with no FOH and run the master volume at 12 o'clock and gain around 11o'clock playing with three guitars,keys and drums. I had lots of headroom and never felt like I was buried behind the rest of the band. I have rolled the upper midst back slightly after adding the 1x12 but haven't noticed and lack of lows. Overall very happy with my mixed GK rig