1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB212 Lining??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MoeTown1986, Jun 28, 2016.

1. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Ok, so I'm a little confused. I bought my GK MB212-ii a few years ago from sweetwater. These were the rev 2's with the black cloth grill. I've had it in the shop sadly twice. Once was due to faulty speakers from the factory which was taking care of due to warranty. Once due to playing a gig on a generator. Fried the power amp. When I had the speaker issue, they would cut out randomly which lead me to think there was just a loose speaker wire inside the cab. I pulled a speaker out to check... blah blah blah.

Fast forward a few years, I'm looking to get a MBP212 powered extension to go with it. I see that the MB212's on MB 212 Specs and I see that the cabinets are "critically damped". They have some jute blended dampening material lined in the whole inside of the cabinet. I don't recall seeing anything when I checked my speaker wires a few years back. I just now pulled one of the speakers to be a sure and sure enough, bare wood.

Did GK update these combos again? Is this jute really a good thing? Should i put some in my combo?