1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB212 reliability

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rd2rk, Feb 14, 2018.

1. rd2rk

rd2rk

Jun 29, 2012
    Thinking of getting a NEW MB212, from someplace like Sweetwater that would likely have the latest production run. I mention that because everywhere I look for reviews I see reliability problems. I just read one review where the amp started making funny noises, and GK told him that he'd permanently damaged the amp by setting his cell phone on it! I know, crazy, and they replaced the amp for him, but still....

Any comments or advice (except about cell phones) much appreciated!

2. I'd sure like to have heard the explanation of the science behind that cell phone theory.

Normally though, GK gets a lot if love around here.

I hate customer reviews. A lot of the bad ones end up being the owner did something stupid.

"This 60 inch TV is a piece of crap. When I bought it I tied it to the top of my car to go home.
    The sign on the side of the box said, DO NOT LAY FLAT. So I transported it upright. But my garage door doesn't open high enough, so when I pulled in, it got knocked off. Now it doesn't work."

3. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I've got a MB 212 II and it hands down is one of the best amps I've ever used. In every way imaginable and I've used and owned a ton of amps. From big to huge to small. Tube and Solid state.

It will also cover a lot more circumstances than I ever would have thought. Great amp!

Dave Hill likes this.
  4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've had my MB410-II for 4 years now and NEVER had a problem with it. The amp in the MB212-II and the MB410-II are the same.

I think you're worrying too much. But should anything go wrong, you should be confident in knowing that Sweetwater and GK will take care of you.

TD

10cc and JRA like this.
  5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    My MB212-II is probably the ultimate combo amp. It goes louder than most FOH indoor systems (if I want it to). If I could change anything about it, I would add a ground lift switch for the DI, add side handles (at least one), and possibly add a compressor. The thing is loud and clear and light. WIN!

kcolyar and 10cc like this.
  6. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I agree with what the others have said; I love my MB212-II. I only want to add that when I was researching whether to buy one, it seemed that most of the reliability issues I read about were with the older, made-in-China version. Those are easy to spot, as they have a silver grille.

10cc likes this.
  7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I think that the initial shipment of MB combos (Generation I) did have some early issues, and that it was one of the main motivators for bringing production back to the US. Make sure not to confuse Gen I with Gen II.

8. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have witnessed what @10cc does to his 212. Takes it like a champ and sounds Great. Best combo I’ve ever heard. I’ve got 2 112’s and love them. Hard to justify taking the “big” rig out.

10cc likes this.
  9. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Must I mentioned I got mine here from the classifieds in mint condition with the cover shipped for $425!:). Gotta love TB!

10. What do you have planned for it? I suspect most negative reception will be coming from ill informed rowdies that should have got two used fridges for their take no prisoners volume war.

Bass Man Dan and alaskaleftybass like this.
  11. rd2rk

rd2rk

Jun 29, 2012
    Actually, none of the negative reviews I encountered were critical of volume levels, they all concerned actual electronic or mechanical (speaker) failures at (claimed) moderate levels.

As for my intended use, I plan to use it in a reflex configuration as the primary thruster in a heavy lift rocket, thus the requirement for light weight, high SPL and ability to withstand high levels of solar radiation.....;):laugh::bassist:

But seriously folks...I've wanted a GK since I first heard a friend's RB800 decades ago. I'm happy to hear that the above mentioned problems are the exception rather than the rule.

12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    @Old Garage-Bander is right. Most of the issues I've read about on TB regarding GK products is from the nut behind the wheel type problems. I bought a used MB500 almost four years ago, and a MB200 three years ago. Both are used in various venues and live in my not-so-weatherproof shed. They are in covers,and during the winter the shed has gotten below freezing. I take the amps into the house in their cases and let them warm up overnight. Quick test in the living room and they roar to life. The MB500, which is basically the same amp as the MB212 combo is a beast, it's a fantastic loud amp.

Also, even though I bought both amps used, I've called GK and Jason in tech support has been very helpful to me. One of my issues is on the MB200 the feet had damage and I asked to buy a set of four replacements. He asked for my phone number and address and said he would get back to me. He never called me back but a week later I received via USPS Priority a brand new set of replacement feet, compliments of Jason at GK. They're based in the good ole' USA and tech support is top notch. Also proudly built American. I love my GK's. :thumbsup:

kcolyar likes this.
  13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    GK had some bumps in the road when they first entered the lightweight amp market, including the first generation MB combos. I believe that is long gone these days.

14. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    I have a MB212II and so far so good on reliability, no issues at all over a year in, 20 gigs or so. Sounds pretty good too, and I was never a GK fan before but I like it. Oh ya, and it is very light.

15. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    My MB212II has been nothing but a tank. I've played 212s for a while and the upsides to this combo (tone, portability, size) outweigh any fears I might have had after seeing some of the same reviews, which I think we're about the first gen.

16. I use my GK 212 Neo II cab three - four times weekly with no issues. I purchased it at BC in Orlando in 2015. Back in December 2017 I accidentally played some notes into it at full volume from my GK 550 amp - full volume! I had some issues (almost fainting!) but the cab had none. Played it three hours today with no issues. It's a very well designed and built cab. Mine has castors so it weighs about 54 lbs.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018