1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB212 vs GK MB115 vs TC Elec BG250

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hachi kid, Aug 23, 2012.

1. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    so, I know the MB212 is almost double the price of the other two amps, but I'm looking at all three of these. I have a bass with dual outputs on it, and I have a neck pickup that I send to a "low" amp. I have a 4x10/1x18 fridge cab I use, currently, but I'm looking to get into smaller cabs for portability reasons. I tested out a (used) GK MB212 that was in rough condition against a new GK MB115 today, and the 115 seemed to put out more bassy low end (which I liked). both seemed equally loud, but the MB115 seemed to fart out sort of early on with the bass and low mids boosted. I'm curious if anyone has any input with the volume and low end perspective between the MB115 and the MB212.

another thing I'm thinking about is the TC Electronics BG250. it's an alternative to the MB115, I suppose. same price, seems to be close to the same sound. any word on if the BG250 will fart out early with the bass and low mids boosted?

I tried searching to see if there was any similar threads, and I didn't come up with anything.

2. I think all of the BG250 threads have some comment/comparison to the GK 115 combo. I can't personally contrast them, but from the comments I've seen, it seems to simply be the case that they're both good and some people prefer the sound of GK and others the BG250.

I've been impressed with the BG250 both for its tone and output. In terms of farting out "early," I suppose that depends on what you consider to be early. I found that is delivers fat, punchy tone at any level that I'm going to be running with it...I haven't had to back off of the volume at any point because of undesirable effects. It stands up well next to a hard hitting drummer.

If you get to the the point of seriously considering the BG250 and you don't have the ability to demo it, I'd suggest getting some understanding of how it works. The eq is non-standard (3 band with dynamic mid/shelving points). Some find it limiting. I find it simple and effective.

3. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    The MB212 has 500watts of power, compared to the MB115 having only 200watts. Yes it will fart out early.
    I have had both, I moved to the 212 from the 115 for small to med gigs. The MB212 will carry alot of volume compared to the 115, and having that head room is never a bad thing. The MB115 seems fuller when practicing at low volumes, but the MB212 cuts and has presence in a band setting that makes it the winner in my book.

4. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    I thought farting out had more to do with the speakers than the watts...

5. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Ive owned all the amps you asked about and the BG250 would be last on my list,,, I returned my BG250 because I was not happy at all with the tone compared to my MB115 and MB212.

For tone alone the MB115 is my pick but for balls to handle a loud live situation the MB212 would be my pick.

Cheers
    Davyo

6. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    ^cool. the sort of feedback I was looking for.

7. I have an Acoustic B200 combo and tone-wise, it's decent, not great, but definitely cheap (discontinued, but you can find used) and maybe the loudest 1x15 I've ever played through (all 200 watts gets used by the 4 ohm cab). It has a tweeter, holes for casters, and is 67 lbs. Does anyone know how it compare to the GK MB115, MB212, TC BG250 and other competitors in terms of tone and volume?

8. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Kind of difficult asking to compare a 500w 2x12" combo to a couple of 1x15" combos with half the output. I don't think there's any question that an MB212 will give you a lot more clean headroom than either of the others and a 2x12" rig should have plenty of bottom to it.

Volume wise a BG250 has a ton of balls and low end and it's still very punchy for a 1x15". I play a lot of low register lines both in 7 piece blues band and in Eb tuning a rock trio and I've had no issues so far with not being heard or felt in the mix with that amp. I've never had a problem with the speaker farting out either although I've never had to run the master past five either and these aren't coffee house gigs. It pushes air pretty well.

Tonally they're very different amps and some will prefer one over the other. There all you can do is to audition them with your bass and see which you prefer. For me I tend to like my MB112 and Jazz Bass more for acoustic or unplugged type of stuff and the BG250 and my PBass more for the higher volume bar gigs.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as long as you know exactly what you expect from the amp.

9. garnermike

garnermike

Dec 11, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I have owned/played the MB212, MB115, and the MB112. All very nice GK tone, but, just not enough down low oomph for me, except at small venues. Yes even the MB212 doesn't have the balls, especially for larger settings and outdoor gigs. IMHO.

The only combo I use now (I have a coupla Carvin head/cab rigs) to play out is the Ibanez Promethean P3115. 37 lbs, 300 watts, 15" speaker. I like everything about it, and moreso than any of the G-Ks MBs.