1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB212ii or Fender Rumble Stage 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowdownthump, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:58 AM.

1. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’m trying to decide between these 2 combos. Can the Fender duplicate the sound of the GK?
    I know the Fender has a lot more features and capabilities . But I’m looking for a combo that can give me both clarity and modern sound as well as those warm vintage tones .

2. 10cc

10cc SUSPENDED

Oct 28, 2013
    Nope it can not.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Actually the Fender sounds better as it is modeled on GK's signature 800RB, so it sounds more like a true GK than does GK's own MB series. Plus you have 13 other amp models to choose from while the GK is a one trick tone pony. Audition one for yourself.

kcolyar, lowdownthump and ELG60 like this.
  4. Flaky Tuna

Flaky Tuna

Aug 15, 2009
    I did not know that. That's a pleasant surprise, as a rumble owner.

Also. Could you verify this?

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
  6. I would not call the GK MB212II a one trick pony. Not even close.

7. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I use a GK MB212 and have played Fender Rumble series combos as backlines. I’ve never played the Stage 800 but I’ve never been a fan of modeling amps or amps with built in effects. They always sound too processed to me. I’d take the GK or get a Fender Rumble 500 combo.

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    but it's only one amp, not 13 amps (actually now 15 with the latest update) and 23 cabinet choices, plus 40 studio quality effects. Welcome to the future.

9. So with that logic, would you call your beloved Standard Rumble Line a one trick pony too?

10. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    GK all day, every day.
    Rock on.

11. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I think both amps are great. It comes down to what you hear as the better amp and inspires you. FX are great fun but not a deal breaker. Amp modeling has become a lot better but nothing will replace the real item. For my ears the Fender Rumble series just Rocks! No other amp has sounded this way for me.

I say for me because they are my fingers starting it all. I look for the bass that my fingers feel the best on and the amp that expresses what my fingers are doing and that my ears like.

Try out as many as you can so you can hear what your fingers are doing at their best.

Best of luck to you

Joedog and lowdownthump like this.
  12. Jimruth

Jimruth Supporting Member

That GK combo will do everything you need. I've been so pleased with mine for the past couple years.

13. I just played a gig with the GK 212 in the back line and it was pretty impressive. I was in the mix all night. Sounded great with MM Stingray and Light Compression.

14. That stage 800 has a whole lot of features packed into it and with it being able to be updated and such with it being a new product, I would shoot for that!

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    IMO "more" is not always "better."
    Downsized from Aguilar DB751 and Mesa D800+ w/ Barefaced SuperTwin (212) and 610 to a GK212 combo w/MBP212 extension.
    Totally dig it. Clean and cool to warm and or thick with or without a "growl."
    Basically, plug and play without uploading/downloading the "newest updates." I get the whole "this is cool it has {fill in blank}, with a {fill in blank}" but it just appears that that is another thing that can go down because of whatever. I had a Zoom B3 a while ago, tons of features etc., cool pedal...and always ended on one amp model (GK) and a handful of effects
    Now, for me, it's MXR for effects, and the combo.
    I play all active basses, and the 500W amp in the GK has a versatile palette for shaping; with/without pedals, contour button engaged or not, boost turned up or not etc.
    Genres: Punk/Post HC/Alternative Primary band (pick) and just scored a more Classic Rock '80's gig also (fingers)
    Good luck!
    Obviously, it's up to you. Just my 2 Cents.

16. I vote for the GK MB212 as well. One great thing with the GK is the ability to attach a powered cab to it. With a monster setup like that you will rock the house for sure! :D

17. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Stingrays all day and night...and the GK212 combo w/extension!
    Just like "KaPOW!"
    :)

18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    This is the differentiator. A powered cab that is designed to go with it is an weddings option to have available!

19. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah it's a question of do you want 15 "meh" amp models, or an amp that is versatile and quality by nature? I've owned the MB200, currently own the MB500, used to own a Backline 600, used to own a Fusion 550, and currently own a 700RB-II. The "MBs sound nothing like RB series" notion is massively overblown. The GIVE channel on the MB500 is incredibly similar to the Boost knob on the RB, especially in a full band mix.

If you wanna piddle around for fun or maybe record something, I guess the Fender might have more usable options. If the drivers are the same as the Rumble v3 series, they aren't going to reproduce those amp tones they claim faithfully. YMMV, try em both out but beware that mid scoop on the Fenders :(

Buzz E and lowdownthump like this.
  20. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Having owned and played 400RB and 800RB amps, I was surprised at how well the Stage 800 was in the ball park. YMMV.

lowdownthump and G-Dog like this.